Username: Password:

Author Topic: Does Washburn "B stock" carry the factory warranty?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Does Washburn "B stock" carry the factory warranty?
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
I was surfing through the websites for a guitar I'd like to buy and noticed that WMS has one, but it says it is "B stock".

Does Washburn offer the Lifetime Warranty on B-stock guitars?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline philpm

• View Profile
Re: Does Washburn "B stock" carry the factory warranty?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »
Dug, pulling up the warranty info with the one B-stock item I saw at WMS, it looks like it should still apply, since they are an authorized dealer.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Thanks, Phil! I knew WMS was an authorized dealer, have bought probably 4 or 5 guitars from them and always make sure the parties from whom I buy new Washburns are authorized dealers. I just wasn't sure that "B Stock" was a status allowing the guitar to be eligible for the factory warranty.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Issue resolved....here is the response by WMS:

"These guitar were listed as B stock by us and not the supplier...so as far as they are concerned they are covered by their warranty."

As we suspected...but it was interesting to hear that the "B stock" designation was assigned by WMS. I have purchased two different Washburn models recently and neither of them were designated as "B stock". I do notice that the models I have recently purchased (one WSJ60SKELITE "Southern Jumbo" acoustic guitar and two of the WG26S model) aren't in the current Washburn catalog. When I called WMS about the issue they told me that they bought all Washburn stock on these two models, as they were being discontinued.

What a shame...the WG26S (which is a "Grand Auditorium" model) is my "go-to" guitar for almost everything acoustic and the only reason that the Elite model isn't close to the top is that the body is quite similar to a dreadnought (but it has much better tonal balance than any of my dreads!).

I bought the WSJ60SKELITE to use as a road/camping guitar...it's TOO GOOD to use for that purpose, so I'm back to one of my two WMJ21S models for a road/camping guitar. I could tolerate losing one of those to an accident or clumsy campers, but not the WSJ60SKELITE!!!

Cheers!

Doug
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:53:16 AM by YerDugliness »

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Good to hear Dug.  I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with the WSJ60.  I've been eyeing that for a while and might have to take the plunge on it.

'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
Hi, Phil...here's a cool feature regarding the ELITE series. The guitars come with a very heavy case that has a covering resembling alligator skin. On the butt of the case is a decal identifying the case as being paired with the guitar using the serial number of the guitar. We've all heard about how having all of the original equipment that came with a guitar can improve its value...perhaps this sticker on the butt of the guitar's case was designed to do just that.

I think there's more to the "ELITE" series than what we've talked about here, so I think I'll start a new thread in the Acoustic forum regarding the series.

Just as an afterthought, though...if you're looking for eye candy, it would be hard to beat the WSJ60SKELITE, which has a cedar soundboard and cocobolo secondary tonewoods (laminate in nature). I researched cocobolo and found out that it is a hard species of rosewood, so you'll get that great gutsy rosewood tone with the ELITE. Mine is not as spectacularly banded as most of the cocobolo guitars I've seen, but it has very attractive dark coffee coloration mixed in with the cappuccino colored bands.

If you're looking for a great looking AND sounding guitar, consider the WG26S, it is clearly superior to the WSJ60SELITE in volume and tone and as well has much more "deluxe" lutherie. I would have thought that Washburn would have prioritized lutherie for the ELITE series...but the WG26S clearly outshines the ELITE model in that area, too.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:00:17 AM by YerDugliness »

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
Dug, how much larger is the WG26S than the WSJ60?  The size is really a determining factor for me because of my stature.  A dread size or comparable is going to be too large for me to play comfortably. 

I recently tried one of the new D'Angelico guitars, the Delancey model.  Its an all mahogany cutaway dread.  I expected the normal all-mahogany low end, and was completely blown away at how nice a full range sound it has.  I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but even just trying it out, it was apparent that it was far to large for me to play comfortably for any length of time.  The size is one of the reasons that I bought the WMJ11s.

'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
Our WMJs are a pretty shallow guitar and that is the major difference between the two.

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
Our WMJs are a pretty shallow guitar and that is the major difference between the two.

Trouble responding...forum will not allow me to post from my iPhone  >:(

Trying again from the desktop at work...Phil, here are some measurements I took over the weekend:

Depth measurements at the center of the butt of the guitars:

WMJ21S= 4 1/8"
WSJ60S= 4 7/8"
WG26S= 5"

Depth measurements at the sound-hole, taken from the inside of the back to the top of the soundboard:

WMJ21S= 3 7/8"
WSJ60S= 4 3/8"
WG26S= 4 1/4"

Width measurements at the waist of the guitar:

WMJ21S= 9 1/2"
WSJ60S= 10 1/2"
WG26S= 10"

Width measurements of the lower bout:

WMJ21S= 15 1/2"
WSJ60S= 15 1/2"
WG26S= 16"

Width measurements of the upper bout:

WMJ21S=11"
WSJ60S= 11 1/2"
WG26S= 11 3/4"

The WMJ series is clearly the thinnest...if depth is the issue you're facing with your size requirements, the WSJ60S is between 1/2" and 3/4" "deeper" than the WMJ21S. The "Southern Jumbo" design is just a slope-shouldered dread size guitar. I now have two slope-shouldered guitars, and I like the tonal balance of both of them very much. My Epi AJ500RC Masterbilt has the advantage regarding playability (it has a very nice, thick V-neck) and sound (it is clearly louder than the WSJ60S model).

I've included measurements for the WG26S, not because you expressed an interest in that model, but because WMS has a fantastic price for  that model and among the three it is clearly the superior instrument in regards to lutherie, volume, playability and tonal balance...and all of the MOP bling certainly doesn't hurt! If you can wrap yourself around the WG26S, it would be my first choice. The only possible negatives you may have with the instrument are, IMHO, the depth of the guitar, as well as the size of the upper bout...but there's good news there---since the vast majority of my playing is accomplished sitting, that larger upper bout sure keeps the waist of the guitar from sliding around on my thigh. It is a pleasant and unexpected feature of the WG26S, which is a "Grand Auditorium" body style.

I hope this helps, Phil....if you'd like a specific measurement comparison that I haven't posted, let me know and I'll get it up. It might be a problem getting the forum to accept the post from my iPhone on a weekend, but it seems to do quite well if I post from a desktop, which requires me to be at work.

OTOH, that cocobolo on the WSJ60S is visually quite SPECTACULAR...if the appearance of your guitars comes into play in your decisions, based on visual impact it would be hard to beat the WSJ60S for physical beauty...and it does have decent sound, it's just not quite at the level of the WG26S in that respect!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:21:27 AM by YerDugliness »

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Hey, Phil...it appears that the advice regarding the WG26S is a bit off...sort of.

I just regained one of my WG26S guitars that I had loaned out and noticed something. The quality of the lutherie and "appointments" may differ depending on where the instrument was built. One of my WG26S guitars has the identical bindings, etc as does the WSJ60SELITE...but the other one has more (as I have described them before) "deluxe" appointments.

I think I'll go to Postimage.com and see if I can open an account. The difference is extra layers in all of the bindings...two very thin layers adjacent to the maple bindings, black and white, adorn one of the instruments and on the other WG26S those layers are notably absent, as they are on the WSJ60SELITE. The difference is much easier to see than it is to describe, so perhaps in a week or two I'll join Postimage and see about getting the photos up...along with serial numbers, the first two "letters" of which should be different if they are made in different factories, which is what I suspect happens.

None of this appearance issues makes any difference in their splendid sound, though...they are, as woodrat states, just great sounding guitars. As luck would have it, though, just yesterday I was tuning up my WSJ60S and I heard a "twang"...sounded like someone lifted a string and let it snap down against the fretboard. All of a sudden the sound quality improved to the point where it's difficult to tell the difference between the WSJ60S model and the WG26S model...what a stroke of good luck, there must have been something that was binding or otherwise inhibiting the strings from laying close to the post on the tuner...whatever it was,  the sound is now much better.

I note that you have the WMJ11S...that is a spruce/hog build. If you like the sound of that tonewood combination and are still in the market for one of the ELITE models, did you look at the WSJ50SKELITE? It has a solid spruce soundboard with laminate koa sides and backs and is still the large, dread size Southern Jumbo model. That might sound more like your WMJ11S than the 60 version, which is solid cedar over cocobolo, but if a dread is too large for you, the SJ's might be, also.

Dang.....I bet it would be difficult to find one of the WSJ50S's in a guitar shop...I think WMS bought the entire stock, if what the president of the company told me is accurate. The ELITE models were built specifically to be sold through various Washburn authorized dealers that were going to be granted "ELITE" status by Washburn...and AFAIK none of the "ELITE" dealerships were ever established. Maybe a google search would find one, IDK.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)