Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where do these two wires go??  (Read 541 times)

Offline farrnola

• View Profile
Where do these two wires go??
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
Hello, i have been putting these wires a couple different places trying to get this guitar to make some sound but nothings happening. The tone knob came loose, rotated, and ripped these two strings out of place and now I don't know where to put them back to. This guitar has 1 humbucker and 2 single coils, and a switch that has four selections. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere that shows the type of switch that is on this guitar and nothing I do is making it play... is there anyone good with guitars that can help me out with this?  :'( :'(

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Where do these two wires go??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
In reality, YOU ripped the wires out from cranking insanely on a knob that most players rarely touch, which was so loose it would've fallen into the guitar if the knob had let go.  ::)

You say there are two wires "out of place"... you fail to mention what is each one still attached to?

In many standard three-pickup electric guitars (except the Strat), the pickups run to a switch, the switch runs to the potentiometers, the potentiometers run to the output jack. In almost all other cases, it's pickup --> pots --> switch --> jack. There are diagrammes all over the Internet. As you get no sound at all, you likely either broke the connection to the jack or the switch.

If you tore a wire out of a pickup, it may be beyond your abilities to repair.

First, check the solder lugs on the Tone pot & the switch & maybe output jack to see where there's solder that looks a little ripped up or shiny.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/