Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn B10 4 string tenor banjo Made in Japan circa mid 1980s  (Read 886 times)

Offline Glenness

• View Profile
Hello,
  I just purchased a Japanese made Washburn B-10 4 string tenor banjo from an older lady who claims it is over 30 years old. The Banjo is in mint conditon and it looks to be very well crafted. However I can't find a single reference to this model anywhere. The label in the resonator actually says the model is a B-10T ( I assume the T is for tenor). All reference to the B10 I find is for the 5 string model. Does anyone know anything about this model? Value or info on quality. I am just starting out so any help is greatly appreciated. I can provide pics if required.
Serial Number is handwritten and is either P4187 or 94187

Offline Glenness

• View Profile
Re: Washburn B10 4 string tenor banjo Made in Japan circa mid 1980s
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get some photos up today.

I seen to be have trouble uploading...um I keep working on it.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:42:55 PM by Glenness »

Offline Glenness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip....much appreciated!
Now that I sorted that I attach a few more pics.

Offline Glenness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Hey Bigcity, Thank you for your research and help with getting the pics loaded. I'm very grateful. Also I meant to mention in my first post that I paid $135 US for the banjo , hard case , a decent book and 5 sets of strings so given the great condition of the banjo I guess I didnt do to bad for a beginner instrument. Now Im off to find a tutor! Best Regards.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »
As for "value," it's a good beginner instrument. Yours appears to be in good condition, & the MIJ doesn't hurt, but the fact is that very few modern instruments will be worth their original Suggested Retail Price in less than a century -- most, in fact, will never reach 40% of MSRP.

For country/folk instruments, those that hold good value tend to be the models with higher levels of decoration -- distinctive inlays, fancy binding, rarer wood -- or higher-quality hardware.

And unlike solid-body electric guitars & basses, acoustic instruments are highly subjective & can vary widely even between "identical" instruments.

Let me look to the market. At the moment, a new "beginner" tenor can be had for about USD $250. However, those are open-back, & yours has a resonator -- those are in the $500-$600 (street price, not MSRP) range. Once the repair/replace warranty expires, used value will be roughly $200-$300.

Once again to your B-10T. All in all, for insurance purposes a replacement value of USD $250 is not unreasonable. However, if by "value" you mean "what can I get for this on Kijiji," $250 is possible, but it will probably have to be a good-sounding instrument & have been properly adjusted by someone who knows a lot about banjos.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/