Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for a Washburn J6 model in red-does it exist ?  (Read 458 times)

Offline larryl

• View Profile
Looking for a Washburn J6 model in red-does it exist ?
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Sounds odd probably to request a specific color in a guitar, but I have the lust for one of these jazz guitars, Wes Montgomery models, in a glossy red finish.   I thought I had seen one at some point somewhere, but I havent been able to locate one.   Could someone tell me if this guitar exists in this finish, and even better, if so, does anyone have one they would be interested in selling me.   Thanks...first time poster here and just joined the forum, but have been playing guitar for over 55 years.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a Washburn J6 model in red-does it exist ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
The J6 was available 1989-2004, in Natural finish or TSB.

It's always possible someone submitted a special order. As well, a short run could have been issued through a particular retailer.

The owners of the Washburn brand have never been particularly good about record keeping, so there really hasn't been a reliable way for anyone to dig up actual build data.

(Of course, the Custom Shop kept track, but there we're talking maybe a thousand instruments a year rather than millions. Washburn's contractors (like Samick) have probably been meticulous, but probably nobody asked them to send over the files. Washburn's Customer Service was apparently pretty good until 2012 or so.)

About the only way remaining to proceed would be to find someone who owns an actual J6-TWR, & ask them to send you a photo of the soundhole label. Maybe there'd be some notation on it as to whether it was a special run or custom order (a handwritten serial number can be a tipoff). Or, heck, you could just buy the guitar. ;)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/