Username: Password:

Author Topic: Info on concert New Model parlor guitar  (Read 442 times)

Offline DoogieJ

• View Profile
Info on concert New Model parlor guitar
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Hi I'm new to this forum and am interested in finding out more information about a washburn New Model that I am going to start some repair work on.   Stamped inside is the following, the George Washburn stamp,  New Model stamp,  a #2 on braces under soundboard,  and serial number 30668, style 202.  Any idea of age or what the style 202 model was would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:52:53 PM by DoogieJ »

ship of fools

Re: Info on concert New Model parlor guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »
nice old parlor 1889 was around the $32.00 mark back then making it a semi high priced instrument was a concert size guitar  rosewood b/s could be either cedar or mahogany neck  18 frets  ebony finger board and should have no fret markers ebony flattened bridge no binding on the top colored rings around sound hole and a fancy back stripe and more pics would help

Offline DoogieJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
Thank you very much for the info.   It has mahogany /ebony neck and 3 fret markers.   The music store I work at dug this up and asked me if I could take a look at it and see if it was worth repairing.  One look at the rosewood sides was all I needed to tell them yes.  So I'm currently planning on resetting neck and dealing with some cracks in body.   I have attached some more pictures.  Happy to see that this forum is here so I can learn more about this guitar after saving it from being tossed in the dumpster.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:40:25 AM by DoogieJ »

ship of fools

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
with the dots o as fret markers makes it a bit older more like 1908 - 09 and that tail piece as you can see was added later but yep still worth having it repaired the last one I saw with repairs sold for around the $1700 ( canadian )and it had some serious cracks front and back but very well repaired.

Offline DoogieJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
Again thank you so much for the info,  it's greatly appreciated.  A correction though it has a cedar neck with ebony fret board, nut, and bridge.  Well the boss will be pleased with its value and it looks like I had better get busy on it. The hardest part will likely chasing down an original tuner assembly as one has been replaced.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 01:31:05 AM »
My experience is that $1,700 is... optimistic. I've seen very few old Washburns go out for $1,000+, & those had interesting inlay work or gold decoration, like this one --
https://reverb.com/item/11442547-1927-washburn-5203-deluxe-w-ohsc
(Yes, $1,500 is far too high, considering the wear.)

I've championed the parlour since the first time I tried one in 1980. While it's nice to see the size finally getting recognition, this might also be a passing fad. But as a result, the market is saturated with some very good inexpensive guitars.

To compete, I'd recommend your Washburn should have all the bracing removed & reglued, & the neck reset, & probably ought to have a trussrod installed. But for moral support, you could contact this guy: http://vintageparlorguitars.com/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:47:03 AM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
Yep I am familiar with Steve's site and his work and often communicate with him when he has questions that he doesn't have answers to great guy and very knowledgeable about  many old brands.