Username: Password:

Author Topic: OE20 replacement parts  (Read 398 times)

Offline stevewdewitt

• View Profile
OE20 replacement parts
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
I have just received an OE20 gold top as a gift. I am wondering about replacement hardware. What bridge to I get? What tailpiece? etc

I anyone has already done the hardware replacement I appreciate any advice.

thanks,
Steve

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: OE20 replacement parts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Why is it that you are replacing the hardware? Are you intending to upgrade somehow?

IME, most LP clones use very standard hardware, though not the same as an actual Gibson.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline stevewdewitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:13:19 AM »
I am upgrading the hardware and electronics. A Gibson tailpiece and bridge will not fit. Epiphone replacement parts might fit. I was wondering what other people have done.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:41:38 PM »
The one style of guitar I do not own is the LP, though I have other guitars (like the Lyon LPT-24) with the TOM bridge, & really ought to upgrade, as the biggest problem is too little room for intonation adjustment, & I usually wind up with one E imperfect.

Have you measured the post-to-post widths (on centers)? Standard Gibson spacing is supposed to be 2-29/32". The problem usually occurs on stud size: Gibson used M5 studs, but most copies use M8. So long as it's the same on center, you might have to pull the bushings & press in new ones to fit the studs.

If I was going to upgrade a good guitar, my first try would be Schaller.

I liked their Nashville as soon as I saw it, a straight-up improvement on the now-classic TOM.

Schaller also makes a roller-saddle version. These have the added advantage of adjustable side-to-side string spacing (like older Gretsch).

The Schaller I've been wanting to try is their Signum. The design looks to possibly improve tonal curve & sustain.

You might also consider the GraphTech NW2 ResoMax or the Gibson TP-6.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/