Username: Password:

Author Topic: Opinion on Active, Outboard Preamps?  (Read 114 times)

Offline Will Howard Wendland

• View Profile
Opinion on Active, Outboard Preamps?
« on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a ~1989 Washburn Monterey Artist guitar. It's got the passive, 2-knob EQ/sound control knobs. Both of my other acoustic guitars (both are Fender) have an onboard pre-amp, and that's what I'm used to. I'm curious as to how the passive sound controls will affect the sound when I plug it up, and I was wondering if any of you guys/gals had any input you'd be willing to share.

I'll be using it mostly for solo acoustic gigs, but do play with a band some. I've got a 2-channel, 45-watt Behringer Ultracoustic amp, and a TC-Helicon PlayAcoustic harmony/effects/looping pedal, and I think that should be adequate for boosting the guitar sound, but would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

-WHW

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Opinion on Active, Outboard Preamps?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »
No hands-on advice, but (as a former sound assistant) I like the look of the BBE Acoustimax acoustic instrument preamp pedal. It offers three bands (the Mid is semi-parametric, meaning you can adjust its center frequency), a notch (great for knocking out mains hum), & an XLR lo-Z out.

There ARE better devices out there -- particularly Fishman or LR Baggs -- but generally at double the $150 tag on the BBE.

If you want to try out something downright inexpensive, though, consider the Behringer ADI-21 acoustic modeler/driver/DI. Not as sturdy, but still has the XLR out & three-band EQ with para mid. Plus, it uses DSP-type modeling to add simulated tube warmth to the too-common harshness of piezo pickups. Can still be found new for $30.

M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Will Howard Wendland

• View Profile
Re: Opinion on Active, Outboard Preamps?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for your input! I went to the local music store yesterday, and the guy that worked there suggested essentially the exact same thing as you. I'm currently a student in graduate school, so I think the lower price might be the selling point for me at the moment. Not to say I won't upgrade late on, but it would probably be in my best interest to not blow my once-a-month payment on an expensive pedal! Thanks again for the info!

-WHW