Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pre-war Washburn 5250  (Read 1148 times)

Offline dave-o

• 12 string player in Seattle
    • View Profile
Pre-war Washburn 5250
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »
I have a Washburn 5250, inherited, and am thinking of restoring it... not to sell it, but to get it back in better shape for another 90 years or so :).

It's missing one gear and 2 screws from the tuners, and I haven't had any luck finding replacement parts online. The 12:1 gear ratio seems a thing of the past. I has a repaired split in the top, missing a couple inlays, and quite a bit of wear on the neck... it was definitely played! It does have what I believe to be the original case with velvet interior. It has a solid headstock which doesn't seem to match pictures I've seen online. It also has a slightly different inlay pattern. Serial number is 100.

Anyone know why it would have a different headstock? It looks original, Washburn inlay and all.

Any recommended restoration pro's in the Seattle Area?

Flickr Album

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:55:12 PM by dave-o »

Offline bigcity2

• View Profile
Re: Pre-war Washburn 5250
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
bump

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
The Model 5250 was in the 1935 Tonk Bros catalog and labeled as the Collegian Model.  Described as an archtop, full Auditorium size guitar. The back and sides were carefully selected mahogany with the back slightly curved.  Top was fine selected spruce "scientifically carved and correctly braced".  The neck was a 7 ply warp proof construction - usually mahogany and walnut - and joined the body at the 14th fret.  It had a patented adjustable bridge and a special designed trapeze tail piece.  Also had a fine professional black fibre pickguard.  This one should be from the 1934-35 era and was in the middle of the line as far as quality.  Can you post or send me a photo of the tuners  ? I may have some .

MarkD

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
I saw your link to photos - those tuners look like they came from an Oahu - can you post a close up of the front of headstock to show what the tuner posts look like ?

MarkD

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
One more interesting note - Bob Dylan played a Washburn 5250 at Newport in 1963  - a very cool video of it is here

https://vimeo.com/158052585

The story I heard was he came to the festival with no guitar and had to borrow one - I believe Ramblin' Jack Elliott had a Washburn 5250 so it is possible it was his guitar that Dylan borrowed in this video.

MarkD