Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn A15 bridge? Where can I get a Harmonic Lock bridge?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Digideus

• View Profile
Washburn A15 bridge? Where can I get a Harmonic Lock bridge?
« on: October 26, 2018, 05:01:29 AM »
Hi all,

My 1st post.  I Just managed to buy a Washburn A15 to repair for a mega cheap price!  its pretty beat up and by the looks of the photos, someone went to town with rattle cans to respray it.

Its in severe need of new tuners, a nut, a bridge, a scratch plate and electrics and a "sympathetic" refinish.

It was originally Red, but was rubbed down to bare wood at some point and refinished with what seems to be poor quality acrylic paint (Plastikote?) with a purple sparkly finish on the top.  there is grey primer under the purple, but i doubt thats original.  Whoever refinished it painted over the black binding around the body and fretboard, and there's also thin black binding on the headstock.

Frets are ok but could do with a polish.  The fretboard needs a good clean, there was masking tape welded on to it through age that I removed.

I have no idea of its age.  There is no discernible serial number on the headstock.  I'm guessing if there was one, it was on the back of the scratch plate which is now missing.

There is a single metal pin in the guitar at the set neck joining the body  I'm guessing it was a registration pin and never meant to be visible, or it is some sort of throwback to a "repair" done in previous years.

So now the good news....I can build a new scratch plate myself.  I may even try brass or diamond plate and make it a bit unique.  Electrics will probably be Duncans.  Maybe a distortion, a stacked humbucker in the centre position and something with some nice creamy-ness in the neck position.

The only bit that is bugging me is what to do about the Bridge.  someone else gave me a 52mm string spacing measurement which is pretty standard, so I was considering just getting a heavy mass hardtail like a Hipshot Ibby, unless anyone knows where I can get a Harmonic Lock bridge?

Any suggestions for a colour scheme?  I'm thinking of staining it black and chrome or gold hardware.  It would be a shame to lose the contrast of the binding, but unless its actually worth doing a sympathetic restoration, I will probably just restore it to playable and add it to my collection of wrecks that I have repaired :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:10:55 PM by Digideus »