Username: Password:

Author Topic: WD 32SW help? please  (Read 196 times)

Offline mwloski

• View Profile
WD 32SW help? please
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:10:22 AM »
Hi folks, newb here but have owned a number of Washburns over the years.  Never had a problem with any of them and this one isn't so big and hairy that it can't be remedied quickly, I hope.

It's a WD32SW all-solid dreadnought.  It's a peach of a guitar and it plays and sounds waaay out of it's league.  I picked it from a couple of them and am generally happy with it.  I did noted that the high E and B strings were a tad "plinky" but figured a small adjustment would fix that.  Long story short, it appears that someone before me (I bought the guitar "new", a few weeks ago, BTW) had shaved the saddle down and done it unevenly and too much.  Since its uneven, I can't really shim it properly either.

It seems to me that the smart thing to do is to get a new factory saddle and let my luthier guy go to work on it.  Here's the rub.  The store I got it from has gone out of business and the other Washburn dealers around here are big-box stores that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them.UC browser SHAREit MX player

Is there any way I can just buy the saddle and get on with my life?  It's a "Buzz Feiten" compensated saddle.  I'd really rather do that than go around the bend and back trying to get the thing as a warranty deal or to have to deal with some folks that are guaranteed to drop the ball and leave me without a playable guitar for even longer.  HYELLLP!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:36:04 PM by mwloski »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: WD 32SW help? please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:30:42 AM »
I'm not a fan of the BFTS mythology. Even if it worked as claimed, most guitar slingers cannot hear the difference -- consider how many cannot tune a guitar without an electronic device telling them what to do.

Even without BFTS, there's no such thing as a drop-in replacement. Every string needs to be properly intonated in order to get the best out of the owner's string preference & playing style.

The pre-"intonated" replacements aren't perfect. I've had guitars where one string needs to be flatted but the darned bridge is sharping it, so I've had to get a plain blank & start from scratch.

If you've carved your own saddle before, you know it's no major thing, but could take up half a day or so (& maybe a few strings from all the tuning & detuning). Or, take it to a shop & expect to pay $60-$100.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/