Username: Password:

Author Topic: ANY INFO AT ALL ON A WASHBURN M12F ???  (Read 80 times)

Offline greasedsilver

• View Profile
ANY INFO AT ALL ON A WASHBURN M12F ???
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:06:10 AM »
I've searched high and low, deep and wide for any information on my Washburn M12F mandolin. I can't find anything with support.

I have been told the M12F was made in 2004 and there were less than 100 made. Reason being that they made the M12F with all carved solid Tiger Maple (Flamed) with tight stripes and gold tuning hardware and tailpiece making them just too expensive for the public to bare so they sold the few they made at their manufacturing cost which was $699.00 then started a new model line about mid-late 2004.

I find that... one of those things that make you go, Hmm. Okay, I can buy the 'made in 2004' because the serial number on mine is YB04070008 as the first two numbers represent the year made I believe.

Any information, credible would be fantastic, I'd sure love to hear it. I would post photos eagerly if I knew how!
* GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND HANG ON! *

Offline greasedsilver

• View Profile
Re: ANY INFO AT ALL ON A WASHBURN M12F ???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
For those that had asked about the Washburn mandolin model M12F this is what I found out:

I finally got through to Washburn and they graciously got back in touch with me and said that the Model M12F was a  "Sample Model" to see what the market would do. One gentleman told me they did only make a very, very few with less than 10 was the number offered. He added the production was to make the M12F mando with GOLD tuning hardware and tail-piece with solid carved Flamed (Tiger Striped) Maple soundboard, sides and back, bone keys and inlaid head design and mother of pearl dots.. The mandolin was very expensive to make. So much so that the test market wouldn't bare the cost so they didn't pursue making the line and went on to build a less expensive. The Washburn rep didn't know how the few samples were distributed thinking that most likely they were passed out to certain dealers that promoted them as a sample. It was suggested to me by another kind gentleman that the insurance for this IRREPLACEABLE mandolin be for not less than $1000.00 if not more insisting that that amount was NOT and appraisal, only an insurance estimate. Yet another gentleman spoke highly of the one I have commenting that it was in literally 'MINT' condition and would appraise much higher than he could safely suggest.

My M12F serial # is  YB04070008. If I can figure out how to post photos here I would.
* GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, AND HANG ON! *