Username: Password:

Author Topic: hey guys: how do piezos actually work??  (Read 133 times)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
hey guys: how do piezos actually work??
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
There's not many non-spammers left here ( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(), but maybe a rare LIVE HUMAN can help me out.

I was curious whether any company makes an actual guitar-type piezoelectric pickup -- that is to say, a piezo element under a saddlepiece in contact with the strings -- for violin.

Plugging piezo violin pickup into the nearest search-engine, I was surprised to be presented with a dozen CONTACT MICROPHONES designed to be stuck to either the top or the bridge. Some of them even look like the same stick-on magnetic microphones that have been around since at least the DeArmond "bug" that Reinhardt used in the early '50s.

After plowing past those, I found a few (Baggs and Barcus-Berry) that actually had a bridge... but the piezo element is sorta stuck into the middle rather than resting under the strings.

I mean,  ??? ::) :o, right?? If that is A Good Idea, then why have guitar makers been wasting so much time for so long, when they could have simply glued the piezo element to the bridge or even stuck it on the inside of the top, just like the classic mag bug??

M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/