Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn AB-5N manufacture (date and country) info  (Read 244 times)

Offline bbecl

• View Profile
Washburn AB-5N manufacture (date and country) info
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:18:41 PM »
Hello,

My name is Eric. I've had a Washburn AB-5N acoustic bass for about 4 years now that I bought used. I'm trying to determine when and where it was manufactured. The soundhole label says AB-5N model number, then SE 97010055 for serial. I've looked into it some, and looked at the catalogs from 1997, 1999, and 2009 and none of the catalogs have the AB-5N. I originally thought it was from 97, as the preamp position is on the lower part of the body as opposed to the upper part where newer ones are located. Also, it appears to have nicer wood and inlay/binding on the body that newer models don't have. All the info says an AB-5N should have a spruce top and mahogany back and sides, but mine looks like the back and sides are rosewood or even pao ferro. I don't know how to post pictures here, but I'd happily email them to someone more knowledgeable. Also, I know the two letters at the beginning could indicate built by Samick and a location, but I couldn't figure out what the E was for, unless it's their main location in Eumseong county, South Korea. I've enjoyed the bass and it actually projects sound well for having such a shallow body. Would just really like to know more about it.