Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI-40NM  (Read 145 times)

Offline bdqwerty

• View Profile
WI-40NM
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
I can't find much info on this guitar. I just picked one up from guitar center for $350 and just curious about what year this is from, series, country of origin, and original MSRP. I like to collect as much info about my guitars as possible.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: WI-40NM
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »
A decent-enough guitar, but it was Washburn's "too little, too late" half-hearted attempt to reboot the Idol line and unique body shape.

The "watershed moment" for the company came in 2010 when JAM Industries completed purchase. They really didn't know what they were doing, and scrapped a couple dozen good-selling models that'd been created under Rudy Schlacher's ownership. The Idol Series became just another LP clone.

Someone clearly realized their error, and the 2014 WI40 was an attempt to renew interest in the Idols, which had become a standard in some metal crowds. But, the world had moved along in the meantime.

The 40 was a decent-enough guitar. I can't find a spec sheet, but the ebony fretboard was a big positive, and I think it was one of the last Washies to have Grover tuners. As for manufacture, most by 2014 were Red China. An old Sweetwater listing says they sold the WI40 for $433 -- however, unlike most better pre-2010 guitars, that didn't include case or even gigbag. Another dealer says MSRP was $1069, common street price $599.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/