Username: Password:

Author Topic: HB-35 - 1990s?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Tweedledee76

• View Profile
HB-35 - 1990s?
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:53:01 PM »
I recently picked up an older Washburn HB-35 and I'm loving it. It appears to be all original except for the pickups, which were replaced with Schallers (and sound great, though the chrome covers don't match the rest of the gold hardware), and the pots. I had read some comments about the necks sometimes being really thin on this model, so I was a little nervous buying it online, but it turns out this one has a comfortable medium thickness neck.

The seller listed it as from the mid-1990s, which seems reasonable, but I've found so much conflicting information while searching that I'm confused. The label in the f-hole has the model number but no serial number, but while looking around I've found other examples of Washburn guitars without a serial number on the label so maybe that's not odd. My guess from what I've seen is that it probably is from sometime in the 90s, and likely was made in Korea by Samick. Based on what you see, does that sound right? Any help would be appreciated!

And the bottoms of the Schaller pickups:

Offline michellejohn

• View Profile
Re: HB-35 - 1990s?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
After reading the experience of the person I also loved the older Washburn HB-35 Hostsailor. The entire look of the older Washburn is giving a classical look and appearance. I also decided to buy such a wonderful old Washburn.   

Offline ET Music

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 04:28:45 AM »
That is the 4th version of the HB-35, circa 1988 or possibly early 89.  I'd bet on 88 since the 89's started serial numbers beginning with 89.  The first generation HB35 was made by Yamaki from 81-84.  Cushin may have made some in 84 since Yamaki went under that year with Yamaki parts.  The model was not in the 85 or 86 catalogs, but reappeared in 87 with a v headstock.  There were two versions of these v headstocks and then came your version with the more square headstock.  That is a beautiful guitar.  Possibly made in Japan or Samick Korea.  Washburn was transitioning to Korea during that era.  Personally, Id put it as made by Terada in Japan in 1988.

Offline Tweedledee76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:59:16 PM »
That is the 4th version of the HB-35, circa 1988 or possibly early 89.  I'd bet on 88 since the 89's started serial numbers beginning with 89.  The first generation HB35 was made by Yamaki from 81-84.  Cushin may have made some in 84 since Yamaki went under that year with Yamaki parts.  The model was not in the 85 or 86 catalogs, but reappeared in 87 with a v headstock.  There were two versions of these v headstocks and then came your version with the more square headstock.  That is a beautiful guitar.  Possibly made in Japan or Samick Korea.  Washburn was transitioning to Korea during that era.  Personally, Id put it as made by Terada in Japan in 1988.

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful.