Username: Password:

Author Topic: How can I find out the year of manufacture of a Japanese D-31S  (Read 1261 times)

Offline David P

• View Profile
I have a Japanese Made Washburn D-31S. The tuners are stamped with a George Washburn emblem. The nut is solid brass as are the bridge insert and bridge pins. The top appears to be a fine grained spruce. I am not sure of the timber used for the back and sides but the back appears to be book matched with a central decorative spine.
The serial number on the bottom brace is 90928. On the neck block there appears to be a capital letter N and below tha the number 807221. There is a Made in Japan sticker on the Headstock.
Hopefully someone can satisfy my curiosity
Dave P

Offline MapleFlix

• View Profile
    • My recordings on soundcloud
Re: How can I find out the year of manufacture of a Japanese D-31S
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:24:24 AM »
Hi Dave! It would help a lot if you put up some pictures  ;)
My Washburns: D-20SN (1988) - D-30SN (1989) - D-61SW12 (1989) - D-66SW (1979)
Other: Alhambra A4 Steelstring (2015) - Epiphone Sheraton (1988) - Walden CG 2010 (~2010) - Epiphone MM-30s Mandolin (~1990)
Music: soundcloud.com/tonflix

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »
This one?
D31 S (FIRST VERSION)
- dreadnought style, solid spruce top, round soundhole with several rings, select rosewood back and sides, natural hardwood purfling, mahogany neck, adjustable truss rod, 14/20-fret rosewood fingerboard with brass target inlays, three-per-side gold tuners, rosewood bridge, pickguard, Natural finish, mfg. early 1980s-mid 1980s.
https://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/#/SearchCategory/AcousticGuitar/675/5019/WASHBURN_ACOUSTIC_DREADNOUGHT_SOUTHERN_JUMBO_MODELS_D_SERIES_D31_S_FIRST_VERSION
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Paterson532

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 06:57:24 AM »
apan Manufacturing Production - actual values, historical data, forecast, chart, statistics, economic calendar and news. Japan Manufacturing Production - actual data, historical chart and calendar of releases - was last updated my premier credit card
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:20:32 AM by Paterson532 »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
Often, the various numbers written inside a guitar meant something ONLY to a factory trying to keep itself organized and efficient. In general, THERE ARE NO SECRET CODES.

For that era, it's possible that NEITHER number is the serial number of the finished guitar. If you've got Gary over making necks, he doesn't simply make a finished neck every time someone's got a body almost completed -- Gary cranks out one rough-shaped neck after another and stacks them on a cart. When full enough, this cart is dragged over to Phil, who does fine shaping, then over to Ed for inlays and frets and binding, and back to Alice for lacquer.

Gary (or the station before Gary) probably makes a little notation on each neck, so that it can be tracked for quality-control purposes. As material is removed, flaws might appear, and the neck ends up either in Rework or scrapped. If there's poor glue lay-up on the fretboard, the foreman needs to know IMMEDIATELY that necks from the same glue task need to be more closely inspected.

They don't have time to be dealing with some sort of "mysterious code" numbers -- they number them in mere sequence then check a clipboard or spreadsheet page to see what route it took.

The body follows a similar trail. Only when the whole thing is finishedand ready for sale does it receive a serial number.

Some of the Japan Washburns did not have a serial number that indicated year. I've seen photos of two where the obvious s/n, if "decoded" by any known method, would indicate the guitar was built decades before or after the actual production years. ???
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/