Username: Password:

Author Topic: My BT-2  (Read 325 times)

Offline FenderNate

• View Profile
My BT-2
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:27:36 AM »
It's pretty sweet. I'll post more if someone can explain posting pics. I'm not a complete idiot, but can't get to get it. First post jitterz.

Offline FenderNate

• View Profile
Re: My BT-2
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »

The ol' BT-2.
Creamery 59s in both positions. Alnico 2 in the bridge and alnico 3 in the neck.
Out of phase neck pull pot on volume.
Split coil on tone
Series / parallel switch

I enjoy playing it. Sadly, my hand is more suited for the good 59 roundback style neck profile. With the shorter scale, it's almost impossible to find a good replacement. I dunno, have any of you found yourself in a similar spot?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
The BT-2 is (IMO) the most underappreciated model in a very unappreciated line. I've called the BT-2 "the poor man's SG... and with better balance." But even that (or "great beginner axe") gives the impression it's just a "good enough for now" guitar -- fact is, I recommend most any BT as a serious gigging guitar.

Nice color, BTW. :) Is that an early one (maybe "BillyT"), or does it have Grover tuners?

As for a replacement... hmm. Keeping the scale length is the problem, as everyone and his dog has for too many years been cloning Strats and superstrats, but there are few decent Gibson-esque copies. Really, your best option is probably to haunt every Guitar Center and pawn shop in your region, because manufacturers (especially of affordable guitars) have been known to change spec whenever they choose -- this seems most common when shifting production to another factory.

Over the years, Fender has produced a few guitars with shorter scale, and (back in the early '60s, I think) even Strats were turned out. It's possible there's been one Squier or another that would suit your needs, but these sometimes last only a month or two so can be tough to find.

I had an older Austin SG (AU766 "Thunder Rock") that might suit, but they're hardly common. You might like their current "AS" series, which includes double-cuts and one with P90s, for $250 or less -- home site: http://www.austingtr.com/. They're carried by Adorama Camera among others: https://www.adorama.com/l/Professional-Audio/Musical-Instruments/String-Instruments/Austin~Electric-Guitars?sf=Price&st=de

And of course there's Washburn's cousin, Oscar Schmidt, who make the well-reviewed OE20 (LP) and OS50 (SG). These are findable, NEW, for under $300 (try Walmart.com or Amazon, and of course Guitar Center and Music-Go-Round for used).
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline FenderNate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty happy with the BT-2. I was looking for a project guitar and bought the body and neck, no electronics, for $60. The Creamery pickups are hand wound in Manchester and they are literally the best PAF style I've heard. Sounds absolutely killer. Think Thin Lizzy.

As for the color, I can't seem to figure which one it is. Super cool though, thanks for the heads up on the other sites. I always keep my eyes open for a neck. I'm impressed at the quality of the build given the price. These Washburns are night and day above anything else in their price range.

I'm surprised you didn't ask about the Victoria.