Username: Password:

Author Topic: strings for a Southwest series Ash body D46S  (Read 794 times)

Offline gjg59

• View Profile
strings for a Southwest series Ash body D46S
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »
I bought a NOS D46S yesterday. Very nice. The strings were oxidized from sitting and I threw a set of light strings on. Too much treble now. What do you guys suggest that works well with the Ash body ? Thanks!

I called Washburn and they said med 13-57. That is too heavy for me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 12:30:03 PM by gjg59 »

Offline Dr. Whatson

• View Profile
Re: strings for a Southwest series Ash body D46S
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
Recommend the ernie ball phosphor bronze light 11-52

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
If you want to tone down a bright trebly sound phosphur bronze is the usual suggestion.  80/20 bronze typically has a brighter, crisper tone.  The brand becomes a very personal thing.  Some folks swear by a particular brand, others less so.  John Pearse strings for example are well thought of and I've heard many comments of the JP's having a bright top end.

Monel is getting a lot of chatter these days.  Some folks love 'em, others hate 'em.  Monel is supposed to deliver a more vintage tone, somewhat like Phosphur/Bbronze but with a smoother, more balanced sound.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
Another option might be to search online for a set of "Bluegrass strings".

Bluegrass flatpickers really punish their strings, so some of the manufacturers have started packaging sets of strings with heavier than usual wound strings in the set. Those wound strings stand up to the punishment of flatpicking much better, and in the act the tonal balance of the guitar will become more bass-heavy compared to the standard gauge string sets. This might help balance out the sound with those "overactive" trebbles.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
Flatpick? Fingerpicks? Fingerstyle (no picks)?

Almost entirely big barre chords down by the nut? or a lot of delicate single-note work up high?

I'm a slim guy with small hands. For me, a .013 is not difficult. However, IMO it'd be much too dark for a solid-wood top. I have a .012 set on a good-quality plywood guitar, & that's a bit dark (my rhythm axe) but they would be a bit brighter on wood.

I push D'Addario. However, it's been literal ages (like, 1979 :o) since I had a BAD set of strings. I've done well by Martin & Fender & Pearse.

Simply commit to making a few string changes over the next year -- it has to be done anyway, right? Soon enough you'll focus in on the size & material that suits you.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/