Username: Password:

Author Topic: Getting older - maybe too old for playing?  (Read 210 times)

Offline WeCo

• View Profile
Getting older - maybe too old for playing?
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Hello, my name is John, I'm 34 years old and I have been playing the guitar for a long time. Since I was 12 I had a passion to play the guitar. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't play as good as some of my friends, who started literally 2 years ago. I don't think my fingers are too large, or too small, and my guitar is a piece of art for 1200 bucks. What am I doing wrong? I have tried YouTube tutorials, online guides, and recently I paid a visit to the musical school, but nothing seems to work. Would you have an advice on what to do to reach my peak?

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
Re: Getting older - maybe too old for playing?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »
Just keep grinding. I've been playing for 40 years and for the first 20, I sucked. Now I suck substantially less. Guitar buddy and I receive good reviews when we play in public.

A decent guitar helps a lot.

Try Justin Guitar website and be diligent about working from the beginning, precisely as Justin tells you to. Don't skimp on the practice but, also, practice well, with focus and a clear purpose. That is, master each step Justin offers before you move on. Good technique solves most issues.

Don't just noodle. Play songs. It's more fun and you learn more quickly.

Have fun!
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline John Li

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:36 AM »
Hello John, what youtube tutorials did you try? bear in mind that some are pure rubbish!

Offline WeCo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
Hi Emily, I did a whole playlist from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxRhesT8gY&list=RDcUxRhesT8gY&start_radio=1&t=0 But I didn't find it too useful. Some are too much for beginners, which I already passed, some 20 years ago. But some were pretty good, tho feels like I'm too slow (I shouldn't be, I'm practicing practically three times a week since the age of 12).

WoW, you are playing for already 40 years? Thats heck of a time! What changed after those first 20 years that it became much better aside from playing songs?

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Hi John, trouble with expensive guitars, your frightened every time you pick it up, practice and a guitar YOU are comfortable with and not frightened of. Have a look round buy a cheap one if it feels comfy. Put your main guitar back in the case it will probably go up in value, you will know when you can do that guitar justice.

Good luck Cornish

Offline John Li

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
I see, I see. Did you try not to train your fingers, but your cognitive abilities?

Offline WeCo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 03:35:11 AM »
Cognitive abilities? Like talking and standing? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline WeCo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:28 AM »
Hi John, trouble with expensive guitars, your frightened every time you pick it up, practice and a guitar YOU are comfortable with and not frightened of. Have a look round buy a cheap one if it feels comfy. Put your main guitar back in the case it will probably go up in value, you will know when you can do that guitar justice.

Good luck Cornish

Do you think so? There are pieces on the market that cost MUCH MUCH more. What would you suggest cheap guitar would be? I dont know, I perceive 1000-2000 bucks is quite a standard, no fear applied.

Offline John Li

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 03:37:10 AM »
Cognitive abilities are more of a mental nature. Have you seen American Idol? Recently I watched on YouTube Brian Justin and I loved his singing. When digging deeper I found a term called "flow" and higher state of "superfluidity". Its part of Peak Performance. Try reading a bit more on it.

Offline WeCo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:12 AM »
Superfluidity? Isn't it something you have to be born with?

Offline John Li

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:07 AM »
Not really, look here, maybe it'll give you a better idea on what it actually is: https://blog.neurofeedbacktraining.com/is-peak-performance-accessible-to-anyone

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 01:24:49 AM »
Heya, WeCo -- please ignore the troll. ::)

My experience has been somewhat like Cornish Boy said. My "best" guitars get little use, while my workhorses were bought used for ~$250. A new nut, a trussrod tweak for the strings I prefer, and I'm ready to play; a few dings here and there means I'm more concerned with sound and playability than "preserving value" or any of that.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/