Username: Password:

Author Topic: MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« on: August 12, 2003, 11:36:55 AM »
who do you think it is? there are so many, and so many i havent even heard, not to mention guitar players that spend all day in thier room making up 20 minute-long solos that no one may even hear.

so post who you think is the most technical player here!

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 11:39:16 AM »
Stevie Ray Vaghn- listening to him is like listening to a clearer version of Jimi Hendrix. i just listen to him and imagine how he would make every little note, how he memorizes how to do every trick on every string on every fret, and exactly when to do each one. Magic.

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 11:58:05 AM »
Its all a give and take. Most technodrones sound really boring. In terms of technical ability, musical knowledge, and knowing what makes a good song, you cant beat Satch............

Offline John

• View Profile
    • Sky Blue
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 05:15:47 PM »
Stevie technical? All feeling and experience to me.
When I think technical guys, I think jazz, art rock and classical like A DiMeola, Steve Howe and Segovia.
Current Idols
05 Catanese WI66ANC both Tonerider Alnico II
99 Blonde WI64 both Pearly Gates
04 Black WI66PRO no Mods
04 Flat Black WI64 copper No Mods
08 Black WI45 - For Sale

Offline Paul

• View Profile
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 12:49:48 AM »
What's the point ?
I mean beeing technical or play whith feeling ?
Well I know that's the 20millions $ question....[8D]
If you talk about technic the only ones are jazz & classic guitar players, you can't compare for exemple J.Abercrombie, J.Scofield, or Segovia to  Stevie Ray or Jimi Hendrix there's a all world between them
in terms of technic ; the first ones can play ANYTHING or their guitar,
when the others can only play blues or so....
But Jimi is still good to hear [:)] & Scofield to. (don't like too much
Stevie Ray, calm down it's only my opinion)
The good thing whith tech is you can always have the feeling + no limits in what you can play... of course it means at least 2 hours of exercises a day (not only playing, [;)]
Polobolo

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 11:41:32 AM »
YOUR OPINION!!! BLAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!![:0][}:)]

ok, i'll calm down. i'm just kidding.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 11:41:58 AM by Punk77 »

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 04:44:31 PM »
The most technically gifted players I've ever heard are guys like Michael Batio.....Alex Masi is also very good, but these two guys are very sterile and boring. There is a point where too much speed and technique can leave the music lifeless. Batio can play so fast that the notes just become a blur, and when he plays that fast using 2 necks at the same time, it becomes more of a parlour trick than anything else. I definately wouldnt lump Hendrix or SRV in with the technodrones. Some of the technodrones are just mindboggling, and can play Hendrix or SRV with their teeth. But even though they can out play anyone out there, no one wants to listen...........Still, I would love to have the technique that Batio has, he is simply amazing, and I hope one day he will use his talents a little less, and put together something that everyone can enjoy, but its like owning a Ferrari, you can only drive the speed limit for so long, before temptation leads you to hammer down........

Offline ShadowSong

• View Profile
    • http://www.mark-shields.net
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 09:49:24 PM »
Yngwie Malmsteen is probably the poster boy for technodrone  
Micheal Angelo (batio) is a little better (being ambiadextrous and all that)
Rusty Cooley, Micheal Fath, Jason Becker
i listen to these sometimes they are truely breathtaking
but.....muscially sometiems there is just nothing there
but satch.......he has a very good balance of technical ability and songwriting and phrasing

SRV was an awesome guitarist and probably the best and most technical blues player but he's all firey passion and balls  
he doesn't wail out arppegios at 15 billionth notes

Offline Punk77

• View Profile
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 01:04:28 PM »
you're all right.. getting technichal is really only good for solos, cuz it does get boring and confusing a lot of times.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 01:05:03 PM by Punk77 »

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
MOST TECHNICAL PLAYER
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 02:11:18 AM »
OK,

I have to leave a vote for John Scofield and I'd be off if I didn't put Alan Holdsworth.  He is just sick.  Guitarist see him play live and still have no idea what's he's doing.  I love players who play outside the melody.  He touches just enough of the harmonic structure to keep musically sane.  YOu know why you stay in the lines?  Cause if you don't then John'll come along and kick your little pansy arse.   No go practice some modes!

Derek

Recording in power drenched North Carolina.  Will have stories for all when I get back.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!