Username: Password:

Author Topic: need help...  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Fatone

• View Profile
need help...
« on: December 22, 2005, 07:20:40 PM »
can anyone tell me what gauge strings i should put on an xb125 for best results? the washburn factory strings sound so... wierd...

any help would be much appreciated...[:D]

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
need help...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 03:00:24 AM »
Ciao Fatone,[:D]
It's really hard to answer your question because you didn't mention nothing about what music do you play,style playing (finger/pick/slap),amplification chain,string config (BEADG or EADGC).
Anyway...for your instrument,I'd say go for some D'Addario strings,they have a very good quality/price ratio.You might try either some nickels,for a brighter sound,or the steel series,for more bite & growl.Also,I found that on alder bodies,some can get good results with LaBella Super Steps (piano string-like design),for an increased sustain and a different flavour.
The choose of string type is allways a problem because it's one of the major voicing aspects and the individual doesn't allways have the bucks for an extensive trial-and-error process.
About the string gauges,for a classic 5-stringer BEADG set,stay within the average 40-60-80-100-125.It's a matter of feeling and taste if you prefer thinner or thicker gauges but the above-mentioned values are a good point to start.
HTH!
Good luck,

You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline Fatone

• View Profile
need help...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 06:19:56 AM »
thnx. by the way i play finger style, and i play reggae and jazz
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 06:23:54 AM by Fatone »