Username: Password:

Author Topic: replacement nut and bridge  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Nedder

• View Profile
replacement nut and bridge
« on: August 16, 2005, 10:30:22 PM »
I just bought a washburn t25 taurus but the nut is plastic and the bridge is very cheap.  is there a replacement nut and bridge that might be a bit more solid?.... the plastic nut has to go!  After a few string changes it's gonna be screwed, and the bridge already has a stripped ajustment screw.  

Please help... I love this bass but I really need to make it road worthy.  As it is I would not bring it to a gig!

NEDDER!

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:26:06 AM »
I have a T24 and I didn't think the nut or the bridge were cheap. The nut on mine is just as good two years later as when I bought it and the bridge is, too, That nut can be replaced as well as the whole bridge. They're still great instruments for the price and with round wounds you can get an upright like tone.
no frets?

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:34:28 AM »
I meant flat wounds, dah.
no frets?

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:11:14 AM »
On my Taurus T24,I made all the upgrades you talk about:
1.I replaced the original bridge (wich isn't bad at all,as Russell said!...it's a heavy chunk of brass!) with a BadAss II from Leo Quan.It was a direct replacement,no additional screw holes needed and you might want to replace yours with something similar for the safety's sake (if you're not a techie,a bridge replacement could cause major problems such as a wrong alignment/positioning).If the BadAss 5-string version doesn't fit your bill,try Schaller or every other high-mass bridge available on the market.
2.OK,let's face it,the cheapo nut is the worst piece on these basses....I knocked it out after 10 seconds of playing when I got the bass and I replaced it with a home-made aero-grade aluminium nut.
It took me about two and a half hours but I'm extremely pleased with the result.The open strings sound much better and I managed to lower the action in such a manner that if you sneeze on the strings,they sing everywhere on the neck.
You should try finding a pre-cut nut for your axe,though the best way is making a dedicated one.Try bone,brass,aluminium or ebony.
What else to say?I cannot tell what replacement was the major upgrade because I made everything in a single row,but the bass is playing like a dream now!
Good luck!
Regards,

You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline Euph59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:35:31 AM »
I've just recently purchased a T24 (and love it to bits).
I have seen some brass, adjustable nuts on ebay, I seem to remember they were Warwicks, would they fit?

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 10:34:59 AM »
Congrats,you just bought one of the most underrated basses outhere!
Yes,the W-type brass nuts fit.If you find them cheap,you'll may want to compare them with some graphite (GraphTec,if I remember correctly) nuts.Each different nut material gives different results and you can voice your T24 as you like!
Regards,

Ol' Romanian proverb
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
Ol' Romanian proverb