Username: Password:

Author Topic: I think I am finally getting somewhere  (Read 1444 times)

Offline kechamb

• View Profile
I think I am finally getting somewhere
« on: August 31, 2003, 01:48:37 AM »
It has been about 10 weeks since I started playing (at the age of 39) and I think I may finally be getting somewhere with this guitar thing. I had never played before and had a limited knowledge of music but I can see improvement most days. This forum is great much better than others I have tried, it has been like a support group for me to keep on going.  I love playing and love music, a[:D]ny suggestions on being a beginner would be great. I am taking lessons and the teacher has helped a lot it gives me a place to check in weekly but I would appreciate any help at all.[8D]
Kent Chamberlain

Offline Sweet Pain

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 07:01:07 PM »
 What kind of guitar did you purchase and where from?  I'm just curious because I JUST ordered mine today!  Purchased a D10s from musiciansfriend.com.  Also ordered a strap, 2 sets of picks, a cleaning kit, and a case.  All for under $325!  (I hope that was a good deal!  LOL)  Some free computer software comes with it too.  This is a birthday present from my hubby!--What a guy!  [:D]  Unfortunately for him, I'm not the best singer and haven't ever picked up a guitar in my life.  I'll be driving him CRAZY for the next 50 years!!!  Anyways, what kind of music are you learning to play?  (And I'll stop rambling for now.  I'm just SO excited to finally be getting it!  YIPPIE!!!!!!!)

--Jen[:X]

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 09:38:44 PM »
congrats to you both![:D]  I hope you both find the enjoyment that you seek.  It is hard at times, no matter what your playing level is, but the frustration of failure makes the rush of accomplishment so much more exhilerating.[8)]  As a teacher, i would hate it if someone else were directing my pupil, especially if there weren't around enough to really evaluate his/her ability.  At 10 weeks, you should have callouses now and know enough scales to actually play music.  Let's just say you have your shoes on now and your standing at the door.  Go out side, but don't run too far just yet.  You'll have plenty of time for running when you are ready.  
   Tell us what guitar you have and what styles you are trying to play.  All i can say is listen often.  Watch when you can too.  go to singer songwriter nights at the local coffee house.  You will see amazing players of all levels and styles.  YOu might even find something new.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!