Username: Password:

Author Topic: Broken guitar! Repair it?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Morgy

• View Profile
Broken guitar! Repair it?
« on: June 15, 2003, 11:13:52 AM »
Hi there

What a terribly sad thing happened! Today my Washburn fell from its stand right on the neck, and the neck cracked off! [xx(]

On this link, you can see a picture of the damage:
** picture no longer on the net **

I bought the guitar second hand from a guitar dealer/builder. He has had it for a couple of years but has almost never played it. It is (ahhm, was...) in very good shape and condition and I guess was stored correctly since it was first purchased

Now my questions:
Can such a damage be repaired? If yes, how will the sound of the guitar be concerned? And how much will a professional guitar builder charge me for repairing it?

Thanks for help and information!

Morgy, Switzerland, depressed [V]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 11:02:25 AM by Morgy »

Offline itsjestme

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 03:34:55 PM »
Man, I be that hurt.
Sure it can be repaired, and it shouldn't hur the sound.  I have no idea how much it would cost to get fixed.  The break looks pretty clean.  I'd get a good fresh name brand bottle of caprters glue and clamp that baby back together.  Carefuly dry fit and clamp to make sure you can actually pull it off.  Might work, might not.  If it doesn't you're no worse off, you'll still need to get the neck replaced.  If it does work, you're back in business unitl the repair fails.  Then you're in the same spot as before, a new neck.  Good luck.

Offline bardly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 01:09:37 PM »
i bought a new washburn acoustic about 2 weeks ago, i played it about 10 times, never misused it, placed it properly in a stand. I went to a friends house and returned, i played it about twice before realizing that there was a crack on the back of the head. the crack was not connected to a tuning peg so i dont think it was a malfunction in the tuning peg. this is frustratring because i saved the money by myself without a job. How could this have happened? and what should I do?

Offline LAPetrarca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 07:03:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bardly

i bought a new washburn acoustic about 2 weeks ago, i played it about 10 times, never misused it, placed it properly in a stand. I went to a friends house and returned, i played it about twice before realizing that there was a crack on the back of the head. the crack was not connected to a tuning peg so i dont think it was a malfunction in the tuning peg. this is frustratring because i saved the money by myself without a job. How could this have happened? and what should I do?

If you bought it new from an authorized dealer, you should have gotten a lifetime warranty.  You need to take your guitar and your receipt to your dealer and have them handle it.

Here's a link to my Washburn Owners page:

http://groups.msn.com/WashburnGuitarOwnersGroup
Washburn D10SCEB
Washburn WG16SCE
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo
Rover RM-35 Mandolin
Guild Pilot Bass
Squier Franken P Bass
Squier Vintage Modified fretless Jazz Bass
Michael Kelly Firefly 4-string fretless A/E Bass

Offline Morgy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 09:32:16 AM »
I finally bought it to a good instrument dealer in town who let it repair by a guitar builder. It cost me about 85 Euro. You can only see tracks from the damage when you take a very close look and to me it sounds like before.

[:)] Morgy

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 07:22:14 AM »
ah,

I love happy endings.  two to grow on .  

Derek

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!