Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn T24 Pickup choices  (Read 4160 times)

Offline dave120

• View Profile
Washburn T24 Pickup choices
« on: October 21, 2005, 10:21:22 PM »
Hi all,

After playing my T24 (which I love the way it plays) with my band for several months, I've decided that the tone of this bass needs to be improved.  It sounds alright the way it is, but I'm not impressed with the wiring setup it has, the pots suck, and I like the sound of my Fender with SD Hot Stacks in it better.

My question, what pickups actually fit in these basses?!  The ABT pickups int hese things are about 4 inches wide, which is about a half inch wider than a standard Jazz pickup.  The mounting screw spacing is also different than standard.  What options do I have for changing these pickups out?  This bass would be PERFECT if I can find a way to upgrade the electronics.

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:33:59 AM »
You might have to have a custom job done. The factory pups are suited to the mahogany so you get a soft upright -like tone. I love mine the way it is because I play jazz. They're especially soft toned with flat wounds. You might try a brighter string like stainless to get a different sound.
no frets?

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 05:04:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Sova

You might have to have a custom job done.

Yes,this is a neverending story with those atypical J-style PU's.
I'd say,try an active preamp according to your needs and budget WITH the ABT PU's....you'd be surprised![:)]
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Sova

The factory pups are suited to the mahogany so you get a soft upright -like tone.

Do you have some sort of an explanation for your statement?
To me,it sounds like an urban legend......after years of intense research,Washburn reveales the Holy Grail regarding the J-style PU's on a mahogany body....[:D]
Come on,let's be serious...on a 350-bucks bass?!?
The stock ABT PUs sound fair thanks to a good woodenry and that's all about it.

You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline Guitar_dork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:41:14 AM »
I saw route it out and put soapbars in it. Its not hard at all if you know how to use a router. Take it too a local repair shop and ask them.
Holla atcha Boy!!