Username: Password:

Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER early mandolin  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Draker

• View Profile
Yet ANOTHER early mandolin
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:12:31 AM »
Greetings Forum Members:

I am currently doing a research project concerning an old family mandolin. I have perused this forum and have a basic idea about the age and vintage of this instrument, but since I have to have a document of my research, I'll ask for specific infomation anyway. Here is all of the infomation I currently have:

General description of body
length: 24”
Width at widest point: 7 ½ “
Deepest depth of resonating body: 5 ¾”
resonating body consists of 23 ribs connected to a top plate. ribs are all the same wood, with thin veneers of ligher wood inbetween.

Large Sticker on inside of body: “THE NEW WASHBURN LATEST MODEL”
Around the outside of the same sticker: “HIGHEST AWARD AT WORLD'S COLOMBIAN EXPOSITION, CHICAGO 1893” and “GOLD MEDAL AND DIPLOMA OF HONOR, ANTWERP 1894” around top and bottom of sticker respectively.

Above is found another sticker. It reads “CREMONATONE No. 154242 FULLY GUARANTEED FOR THE TERM OF ONE YEAR FROM THE DATE OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE PROVIDED THIS LABEL IS NOT MUTILATED”
Around the outside of same sticker is found: THE MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP OF THIS WASHBURN INSTRUMENT”

At the bottom of the sticker is a symbol of a belt and buckle surrounding a guitar. In the belt itself is the name George Washburn.

At the base of the neck of the instrument is burned in the same symbol of George Washburn. There is also a serial number stamped on the neck it is 104242. Why does the next have a different serial number than the body?

The neck has 6 inter-fret areas that have shapes inlaid with mother of pearl.

I would like to know full information about this instrument. The more complete the better. Also, for those answering, please provide me with your level of authority in the subject and your area of expertise: i.e. you're a Washburn historian, or a member of the Washburn staff, or are an historian of stringed folk instruments, etc. Please respond via email, if you have information, as I would like to use your real name in my bibliography (keeps my professors off my back)

Also, if anyone could provide me with any information about where to get a list of serial numbers and models of Washburn mandolins from this time period, that would be great. Can it be found online? Is there a document available from Washburn directly? how would I get a hold of that? Who would I contact, etc. I am having the Washburn history book sent to my library via ILL, but if anyone can think of any other resources to consult, that would be extremely helpful.

I would appreciate as much information as it is possible to receive concerning this mandolin.

Sincerely,
Dan

Offline keef

• View Profile
Yet ANOTHER early mandolin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:58:54 AM »
Style 140, one of the more expensive Washburn mandos. Yours was made between 1900 and 1905. The serial ## should match, and in view of the indicated large label the 154XXX number must be correct...apparently someone goofed at the factory.

That list is not available...but it will be soon. [;)]

I will send you a PM with my name....