Username: Password:

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!? Put Passive Pickup Into Active Bass?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ballerina

• View Profile
PLEASE HELP!? Put Passive Pickup Into Active Bass?
« on: December 22, 2005, 10:35:35 AM »
ive found a bartolini replacement pickup that would fit my bass, but it's passive and i believe my bass to be active. i dont know bugger all about electronic so can anyone talk me through the pro's and cons of installing a passive pickup into an active bass? or even if its possible? i don't have a clue, all i know is that the pickup should fit, and that its a nice pickup!

please help![?]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:00:26 PM by ballerina »
Nick

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »
There are 2 types of active pickups. Pickups that have an active circuit in the pickup itself, and those that have the active circuit in the control cavity. Active pickups boost the signal going to the amp. For this reason alot of good basses have them because low frequencies produced by the strings are lost without the boost in signal. You'd have to check with a tech person if your passive pickup will hook into the active circuit on that bass. I believe those pickups were the types that had the boost in the control cavity itself..........

Offline ballerina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 09:20:30 AM »
so your saying if the actual circuit/pre-amp is active, it shouldnt matter whether the pickup is or not? how would i found that out? im prety sure that it still has the original electronics inside.. would you happen to know accept? you managed to find out the year and everything of my bass. is the pre-amp active?
am i onto something or am i making an ass of myself?
thanks nick
Nick

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm almost positive that those basses had passive pickups with an active circuit in the control cavity. You'd have to have a tech look at it, and tell you if you can simply swap pickups, and still use the active circuit...........