Username: Password:

Author Topic: Buzz Feiten Tuning System  (Read 2405 times)

Offline guytarJoe

• View Profile
Buzz Feiten Tuning System
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »
Does anyone have info on the BFTS? I ran across it somewhere and just wonder if it is a bunch of hooey? Of course the website has all kinds of testimonials, but is it worth it or just a gimmic?

Thanks

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »
Its worth it if you play alot of chords. I first got a Buzzed guitar and didnt really think anything special about it. But I was surprised when I got 2 guitars exactly the same, and one was Buzzed (later conversion), the other not. There is a difference. As for the hooey, on new guitars you are getting Buzzed and youre paying the same price as if the guitar wasnt Buzzed, so how is that bad?............

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:11:03 PM »
Someone who seemed to know a good bit about the system gave some pretty good info about it on the acoustic guitar section not long ago. You might run a reference. Interesting reading.

Offline Rhythm_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:14:48 AM »
My only experience with BFTS is a 1998 WM100 (back in the day when Washburn only put it on the USA models).  I do play a lot of chords, sometimes fairly high on the neck, and I could tell the very first time I played it amplified that it sounded better.  I used to wonder about the value of BFTS as well - after all, isn't it mostly just physics?  I haven't studied it to know why or how, but it does make a difference.

Offline djmonnette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
The Buzz Feiten Tuning System solves tuning and intonation problems with 2 simple steps:

1. Shelf Nut
Our exclusive Buzz Feiten Tuning System¨ (BFTS) Shelf Nut moves the strings closer to the first fret according to our Patented Formula. This eliminates sharp notes at the first three frets.

Buzz Feiten Tuning System Shelf Nut

Top View : Each Shelf Nut is precision machined from high quality bone for superb tonal response. Our Lightning Bolt Logo is machined into the top of each Shelf Nut for authenticity.

Side View : The strings are moved closer to the first fret a precise distance based on the scale length, fret width and string gauge of your guitar. The slight overhang of our nut (the 'Shelf') does this without altering your guitar in any way. So it's even fine for vintage guitars.

2. Intonation
Your guitar's bridge is adjusted according to our Patented Pitch Offsets, creating balanced intonation over the entire fingerboard - every fret - every string.

Your Bridge Is Adjusted to BFTS Pitch Offsets
     (To save cost the nut on Washburn guitars are not bone like above (Each Shelf Nut is precision machined from high quality bone for superb tonal response.)

ship of fools

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:25:05 PM »
And then there was more reading
http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/guyguitars/feitentest.html
enjoy.Ship

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW

and other great sounding and playing guitars

Offline JesperT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:50:40 AM »
It does make a big difference in getting the guitar to intonate perfectly all over the fretboard.

However, with a BF'ed guitar, if you do your own intonation, you now need an expensive tuner like the Peterson to properly intonate your own guitar with the correct offsets. Also, in my area (Denmark) some shops don't know anything about how to intonate a BF guitar, or they just say it's hooey. Luckily I do my own intonation/setups.

Offline woodstock1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »
buzz remembered the microfrets guitars in the sixties, i bet......6 adjustable nut pieces......at the time, i thought they were daft......but it was a good idea.....
jgj

Offline djmonnette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »
Has anybody updated to the BF bone nut? Shelf Nut is precision machined from high quality bone