Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help for a new bass player  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Anastasia1q21

• View Profile
Help for a new bass player
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:42:28 PM »
I need some help on playing a fretless bass. My friend gave me this bass and he said he learned to play on it. So I know it can be done, but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips.

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 12:46:27 PM »
Playing fretless requires an ear and touch.  Do you have fret markers on this fretless or is it plain and unmarked?  Playing fretless requires you to have a sense of pitch so you can adjust in miliseconds.  The neck should still have dot inlays on the sides that you can use as reference markers.  
   Have you played bass or guitar before?  If you have, I'd suggest that you start off playing a few simple things that you already know, so you can adjust to the feel of the bass.  Work on scales and arpeggios too.  after you get comfortable with the fingerings then you can try ear excersises, like playing along with simple licks from CD's or the radio.  
   While the fretless is a more precise instrument, it is also more expressive.  
   Just to get used to things, practice your first position reduments, b scales, f scales(major & minor).  I recently met a girl in high school who taught herself cello.  You don't have to bow, so you should be able to accomplish this with no problem.  Just keep listening.  Your ears are key to playing fretless and maintaining your intonation.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 11:31:43 AM »
My first bass was afretless Fender Precision I bought in Helena, Montana in the fall of 1978. It cost $185 with the case and I sold it 3 years later to buy a stand-up bass. You have to put your fingers where the frets go and not where you put them on an instrument with frets. Your fingers become the frets. Fretless basses with the ghost lines drawn in are actually harder to play because your natural inclination once seeing the line is to put your finger between them. A fretless bass without any fretlines but with dots along the side are easiest to play. You have to develope a good ear. It's something that comes natural if you keep trying. Best of times!
no frets?

Offline Rhythm_guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 07:37:51 PM »
Playing fretless requires an ear and touch.
Playing fretless requires you to have a sense of pitch...
    -- well-said by Fourstring

I have a friend who once played in a community production with a guy who fancied himself a great bass player.  Only problem - he had no ear, no touch, and no sense of pitch but he insisted on playing a fretless bass.  Whan my friend got sick of listening to it he asked the guy Why are you playing that old thing, you couldn't afford the frets?

I have never played a fretless, but it must be difficult.  I tried a violin (only a couple of times, never really worked at it) and that was a disaster!

Offline jBiRob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 06:19:37 PM »
I know a guy at my school who has a frettles ibanez and he's been playin for like 6 months and he says its a piece of cake