Username: Password:

Author Topic: White Finish turnning yellowish?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline mark4583

• View Profile
White Finish turnning yellowish?
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »
Ive had this Washburn for about 20 years now, not sure of the model, no numbers on it as far as I can see, just says George Washburn inside, and looks identical to the EA20SDL on the site here except mine is or was white.
  I guess over the years it has been turning a yellowish color, the guitar is like the day I bought it, so it hasnt been mistreated or left out in the elements.
  Any Idea what causes this and is there some way I can return in to the original color?
   Thanks

Offline dennistruckdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »
It is just the finish aging.  Fender sells NEW yellowed white guitars, calling them Antique White or something like that.  Metallic blue guitars turn green.  Cherry sunburst guitars fade to an amber color.  Just a not necessarily undersirable trait of a high-quality finish aging.  Gives character.

Offline cook_e_mnstr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
Yea, a lot of people- including me, think that's cool.  Gives it that vintage look.

quote: A poo, and his honey, are soon parted.
Homer Simpson: “Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.”

Offline RW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 01:58:15 PM »
I have a while Les Paul with something similar but mine is only off white in the area where my arm lays on the body. It has to be the worst Gibson I've ever owned. The finish has even started checking. Personally I would just leave yours as it is. In my case since mine was just yellow in one area I took some Meguiars paint cleaner for cars cleaned it off then used their polish to shine it up.