Username: Password:

Author Topic: solo's!  (Read 1305 times)

Offline fahrenei

• View Profile
solo's!
« on: November 25, 2003, 08:01:05 AM »
hi there people of all bass players!give me some tips and guidelines on how to improve solos?i mean all i really know is some basics,but then how will; i learn to encorporate fine melodies?!hope you'll reply people,thanks and godbless to all of us!
jaramia

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
solo's!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:17:22 AM »
If you learn the Ionian, Dorian, etc. for the cords you'll learn patterns that fit into the music. And don't forget to tie in with sharps and flats of notes. Good luck.
no frets?

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
solo's!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 08:50:13 AM »
This is a complex questions and I see two schools of soloing.  There are technical players and there are lyrical (melodic) players.  Once in a while some one is capable of doing both and these people are special.
    Technical players play scales, chords and modes over changes.  They are the matrix players, they see the code and start to apply more code or rearange the code that they see and hear.  Other players appreciate it, but it can go over the typical audience members head.  That's not to say that this is not a good thing, cause it made Malmsteen & Rhoads great players.
   Lyrical players play melodies and harmonies and often quote passages from other songs.  This is not to say that this is a lesser style of play, but most listeners can hum and thereby remember what these players have done once the show is over.
    In my humble opinion, Shredding is what you do to show that you have chops, but singing is what you want the instrument to do when you want to make music.  yeah you should be able to switch between styles.  Practice your scales and etudes, then to really be a monster, learn the heads(lead lines) to as many tunes as you can.  Become a sponge and not just to any style either...cartoons, video games, show tunes, commercials, sound effects, anything that comes into ear shot...even the Mr. Softy ice cream truck song...
  The difference is that when you shred, the other musicians will sit in the back arms crossed and kinda nod, but think they can do it better.  When you play lyrically and quote songs, everyone will dig it, especialy when you do obscure stuff, musicians and non musicians alike.  
  After trying all this you'll realize that you suck.  don't worry, your idea of sucking is still years ahead of someone else's best efforts.

Rock on.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!