Username: Password:

Author Topic: i ma new need some help  (Read 5868 times)

Offline cap

• View Profile
i ma new need some help
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
Hi my name is Cap and i need some help i started playin guitar bout 6 months ago and i need soem help on barre chords[8D]...if anyone can help me i would appreicate it much kindly......i like oldies songs so if you have the names of any good old songs i would like to see em sometimes.....GOd bless you all and i hope to hear from you soon [:D][:D][8D]
CAP

Offline Styles

• View Profile
i ma new need some help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:13:53 AM »
Hey Cap

Barre cords come with time finger strength is important here.. It is hard to do near the neck so I recomend practicing near the 5th fret.

Keep your index finger straight and as close to the fret as possible.

Practice practice.....

Rock on....[8D]

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dirkesfamily.com
i ma new need some help
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cap

Hi my name is Cap and i need some help i started playin guitar bout 6 months ago and i need soem help on barre chords[8D]...if anyone can help me i would appreicate it much kindly......i like oldies songs so if you have the names of any good old songs i would like to see em sometimes.....GOd bless you all and i hope to hear from you soon [:D][:D][8D]

CAP

Styles nailed it, in that you need some good finger strength, and a lot of practice.  Your barre chords are built on the E and the A chords, with your index finger acting like the nut.  Just learn to play the E chord with your 2, 3 & 4 fingers, lay the index across the neck on the 1st fret, and you have an F chord.  One more fret and you have an F#, yeat another fret and you have a G.  The same is true with the A chord, but you'll find that most folks just lay the 3rd finger across and not play the high E string.

All variations on those chords follow suit on the barre chords too.  You 7th chords, minors, etc... do the same thing on your barre chord.

Practice, practice, practice... and HAVE FUN!!!  Start with some 12 bar blues!

---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne
2005 Washburn D34SCE Augusta
2005 Washburn NV100
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Spectrum
---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2006 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2004 Washburn D52SWCE Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D46SCE-12 Southwestern
2004 Washburn WD18SW Solid
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N

Offline Styles

• View Profile
i ma new need some help
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »
Yup Deacon gave a nice example.... Learn from someone who knows there are tons of little tricks out there to speed up your progress..

There is no satisfaction like getting your first couple bar cords down...

Rock on.....[8D]

Offline cassytn

• View Profile
i ma new need some help
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »
Cap, I agree with the rest.. Styles hit the nail on the head.. finger strength..  getting in the habbit of holding your guitar neck slightly higher they your shoulder, using your thumb for the strength perfectly in the middle of the back of the neck all the way up and down unless you are wrapping your thumb around for a quick cover of a bass string, otherwise using it in the middle of the neck and remember curving your fingers so that you are sure to only touch each string rather than just barely making contact with the one above or below the string you are trying to cover... practice this which is my rather long way of trying to explain to try to learn closer to the classical way of fingering, etc etc.. now I for one suggest one book to find and keep in your library!!  That is The Mel Bay's Encylopedia of Guitar Chords, which is the first picture I have given you the url for below.. since html is off here I can only give you the urls to copy and paste in another browser to go to.. the second book is the closest to the new edition of the first one, which was circa 1971.. the second one is the   MEL BAY'S DELUXE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GUITAR CHORDS *E which of course my s/o bought all three of those copies off ebay for me.. but there are still tons of others to be found.. The Second one would more than likely be the best of the two, but the first is still the most extensive guitar bood I have ever found! it does have every possible way to play guitar chords and note structures I have found.. Including but not short of Bar Chords, to orchestration and quick chording even to tablature basics... I think those would serve you best.. The fellas may or may not disagree.. but open both of the addresses I gave you and you will get an idea what to look for both on the net and at the local music store! Oh and I teach six instruments and vocal training, as well as being offered a position in a local music store that has been trying to get me for years, but finally made the right offer!! [:)] But check those out...

CassyTn
Swamper by birth, Swamper for Life!!

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/3f/68/cf_1_b.JPG and just look at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7308892862&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Offline coffeedrinker

• View Profile
i ma new need some help
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »
Hey cap
mel bay is the way..keep bangin around in the woodshed..