Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn Mandolin pre-war  (Read 3529 times)

Offline TerryD

• View Profile
Washburn Mandolin pre-war
« on: March 12, 2006, 04:07:41 PM »
I have a mandolin and case with a serial number 197962 on the inside sticker and stamped on the inside neck. Its a bowlback with 13 ribs, 20 full frets, 2 short frets, curved fret board on the bottom. On the handle of the case is stamped the serial # 4100. There are four round inlays on the fret board. Any info on year and value would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline animatostrings@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »
I also have pre-war Washburn mandolin. Serial # 17256. The potato bug, bowlback that I call Ed  has 20 frets, but the last two are short and hang into the sound hole. There are 21 ribs if I count the two fat ones on the sides but not the frame. The tuning machines are recessed into the back of  the head stock. Inlayed markers are at the 1, 5, 10 , and 12 frets. The scale length is 13 inches. The flat top plate has inlayed vines between the oval sound hole and the bridge.  It has a hand engraved, hinged, nickel-plated brass tailpiece of three semi-circles. . There is binding around the front and the ebony fingerboard.

I'm guessing that it was made between 1895 and 1930. Maybe 1915. It is the best sounding mandolin that I have played. I love it.

The case might be original with leather hinges and handle. A circle is impressed into the top with a double line Y and the letters L, H, C in the three sections of the Y. My guess is that the LHC stands for (George Washburn) Lyon (Patrick Joseph) Healy Chicago.
My job is NOT to teach you to play. My job to it give you the tools that you need to play what's in you heart.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
Hey John, welcome to the forum...Sounds like one Great Mandolin you have there.

I checked out you you tube links...Great stuff I really liked It.
Cheers
Magoo.