Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings from North Carolina  (Read 3687 times)

Offline edge51va

• View Profile
Greetings from North Carolina
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:32:14 AM »
By way of introduction, I have some music background having taken piano for five years as a child and playing in high school band for four years (tuba player).  I am a newcomer to guitar, having only begun acoustic guitar last year at the age of 53.  Began taking lessons, along with my teenage daughter, through the NC municipality where I live.

Quite by accident I purchased what I later discovered was a good choice for a first guitar, a D10S, and have been very pleased with it. I have since purchased a black EA-8 through an on-line distributor - I treated myself to a Christmas present. My daughter liked the look so much that I purchased a second one in the same color - along with the WA20 acoustic amp - as a Christmas present for her.

Am progressing moderately well learning chords and some finger playing, along with acquiring callused fingers on the left hand, and am experiencing the truth that barre chords do come with practice and building finger strength.
Ed G.

My Guitars:

Washburn D10S
Washburn D52SW
Epiphone Dove
Epiphone Masterbilt EJ-500RVS

Offline cassytn

• View Profile
Greetings from North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:21:10 PM »
Hiya's, 53 huh? I am 43 and all except how long you took piano, when you started guitar, your intro sounds a little like mine! <lol> started piano at 4yrs old till I was 15yrs.. trombone and tuba in school/college USC Trojans... but started guitar at 12.. cut my teeth and did most of my training at Muscle Shoals Sound and the other studios in the Muscle Shoals Al area.. made most of my early money playing bass and piano in the studios there.. some backup vocals.. but check out the links in my reply to cap.. I think you too will find those books very very helpful to you and your daughter..  oh and good choice of guitars I agree!!! I always tell my students to start on an acoustic first!!! get them calluses worked up on them finger tips nice and strong.. then you can almost play any guitar handed to you! In my house the preferred weapon of choice is a very large 12string acoustic/electric..  I play it the most.. and again I am a pianist.. then a guitarist second.. [;)]

CassyTn
Swamper By Birth!