Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rank todays electric artists.living or dead.  (Read 35550 times)

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Rank todays electric artists.living or dead.
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
LMAO

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
I think allan suffers from a constipated mind and a diarrhea of the mouth or in this case his typing finger...............[:D]

oh yea holdsworth sux!!..(actually I like him).[;)][:D]..lmfao
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 06:10:29 PM by mrmudcat »

Offline CALLISTO

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »
LETS TALK SERIOUSLY I´ BEEN PLAYIN FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS & I CAN SAY THAT  THE BEST OR RANKING IN WHAT OR FOR WHAT????   IF EVERYBODY´S THINKING ABOUT TEQNIQUES ....THE BEST IS PAUL GILBERT IF U ARE ASKING FOUR PERFECTION LETS TALK ABOUT JOHN PETRUCCI , IF U ARE THINKING ABOUT CREATIVITY INGWIEE MALMSTEEN OR DIMEBAG DARRELL , STEVE VAI -.... I MEAN IS SO RELATIVE ..BUT ...
MY PREFERENCES ARE :

1.- PAUL GILBERT
2.- YNGWIEE MALMSTEEN
3.- DIMEBAG DARRELL - SLASH- JOHN PETRUCCI
4.- STEVE VAI  
5.- MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO - JASON BECKER

Wshburn dime guitars just the best choice to die for!!
Washburn dime guitars just the best choice to die for!!

Offline CALLISTO

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
LETS TALK SERIOUSLY I´ BEEN PLAYIN FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS & I CAN SAY THAT  THE BEST OR RANKING IN WHAT OR FOR WHAT????   IF EVERYBODY´S THINKING ABOUT TEQNIQUES ....THE BEST IS PAUL GILBERT IF U ARE ASKING FOUR PERFECTION LETS TALK ABOUT JOHN PETRUCCI , IF U ARE THINKING ABOUT CREATIVITY INGWIEE MALMSTEEN OR DIMEBAG DARRELL , STEVE VAI -.... I MEAN IS SO RELATIVE ..BUT ...
MY PREFERENCES ARE :

1.- PAUL GILBERT
2.- YNGWIEE MALMSTEEN
3.- DIMEBAG DARRELL - SLASH- JOHN PETRUCCI
4.- STEVE VAI  
5.- MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO - JASON BECKER

Wshburn dime guitars just the best choice to die for!!
Washburn dime guitars just the best choice to die for!!

Offline smoldersi

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
DJANGO REINHARDT

Potverdekke! It's great to be a Belgian,
I'm not English, I'm not French and I'm not Dutch,
I'm not Spanish, Portuguese or German,
I'm a Belgian so thank you very much!

Potverdekke is a Flemish curse, something like Damned

Offline stealthfish

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
Davey Johnstone,
Albert Lee
Django Rheinhart
Les Paul
Eric Clapton,
Jeff Beck,
Peter Frampton
Carlos Santana
Segovia

In no certain order and the list could go on and on!

Offline smoldersi

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »
I'm a Pat Travers fan:)

Offline Dave Clemo

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2007, 12:33:19 PM »
Hi, First I'm a newbie here and second I've been playing for close on 40 years. Some people will tell you that they think they've heard it all before but let me tell you that I KNOW that I've heard it all before.
Now in no particular order, the people that I've SEEN play live and made me feel like taking an axe to my axe were:
in 1969- Robert Fripp and the first King Crimson line-up
in 1967-8 Jimi Hendrix (4 times) and the Experience
in 1967 Richard Thompson in Fairport Convention's first ever big gig at the Saville Theatre

Of those three, the one who has stayed the course and is still making incredible music that defies all style boundaries and is uniquely his is....... (opens the envelope)

RICHARD THOMPSON

I saw him recently on tour in the UK and there is no-one to match his technique. There are many who can do some of what he does (Jerry Donahue etc)but he is the complete deal, electric or acoustic. I saw him play a 30 minute guitar solo back in 1967 at a hippy club in London, and he can still cut it (listen to Down on Me- there's a live MP3 on his website- 12 minutes of exquisite anger)

Now to the others:
Best UK blues rock guitarist:
Not Eric Clapton- (Mr Cliche)
Not Jimmy Page
Not Gary Moore
Not Peter Green

The winner is.......

Jeff Beck.

Listen to his million seller of 1975- Blow by blow and see if you can figure out his solos. I'm still trying to get all the way through Cause we've ended as lovers Oh, the subtlety of tone, hammer-ons, use of tremolo arm, switching pick-up mid note. And it was recorded at Abbey Road by George Martin with no synths or sequences, just musicianship of the highest quality.

What about Stanley Jordan?
Watch the videos on Google and see if you can do what he does. I can't even think like that!

Of the old guys (older than me that is) You have to give credit to Django, Les Paul, James Burton, Steve Cropper and all the pioneers who blazed the trail and worked it all out so that we can buy a book of tab charts and copy it.

Offline Brontis

• View Profile
    • http://www.eddiegworld.com
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »
Frank Zappa
Mike Keneally
Steve Vai
Ray Gomez
David Sancious
Eric Clapton
George Harrison
Duane Allman
Carlos Santana
Joe Pass

Sig file on hiatus, see http://www.myspace.com/brontis
Sig file on hiatus, see http://www.eddiegworld.com

ship of fools

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
Jeez Dave Clemo I thought I was the only one here who listens to old King Crimson, and Dave I think you forgot to mention someone from Ten Years After, I think he was doing English Blues long before Jeff was,but then I wont try to figure out who is the best living or Dead, they were all good for what they did, and they all offered something up for us folks, that we all seem to like at one time or another.Ship................PS as for the allan guy,well when you reach mid 50's and beyond guess what,I have heard it before and while its fine,so is a lot of stuff out there that does the same.

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
and other great sounding and playing guitars
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:59:13 AM by ship of fools »

Offline capita_harlock

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2007, 02:11:58 PM »
I want to say only one:

Gary Moore, he can play anything he wants, any style he wants, and play it perfect.

Of course i can talk about 10.000 guitarrist that i admire too, but the best ( for me of course ) is Gary moore.

My doughters:

Washburn X-10
Washburn A-??? ( 10 or 20 i don´t know yet )
Jomadi 1965 spanish handmade electric guitar
Admira western A-320
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:14:13 PM by capita_harlock »

Offline Brontis

• View Profile
    • http://www.eddiegworld.com
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2007, 10:30:38 PM »
Okay, I'll admit to being older than dirt. I have, however, listened to pretty much everyone from all era, and have been influenced in one form or another by all of them. I can apreciate ANYone who has ever picked up a guitar, regardless of their prowess (or lack thereof) as I am a GUITAR nut. I merely seized the oportunity to name ten guys that *I* love. Hating is just not my thing, ya know? There was a time when the only guitarist regarded with any respect was Segovia. These days, it's guys with buckets on their heads, or guys with seven strings tuned to drop C. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. To quote Zappa: Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar.

P.S. Holdsworth is brilliant.

Sig file on hiatus, see http://www.myspace.com/brontis
Sig file on hiatus, see http://www.eddiegworld.com

Offline norfolkngood

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
Something similar happened on the Westone forum, suddenly the longest thread .... ever.

Different strokes for different folks, there's no wrong answer. The list goes on forever and changes depending on mood + what I last listened to, but for me (and deliberately listed first equal)...

1) Paul Kossoff (ex-Free, sadly departed way before he even began to peak)
1) Mark Knoffler (try as I might and no matter how many hours I put in, he'll always be way ahead)
1) Gary Moore (it's all said above, can do everything and I'm never bored watching the DVDs or wearing out the CDs in the car)

Offline Scott C

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
OK, I'll chime in with one that's been mentioned, and two that I don't think have.  I'm not picking the absolute fastest shredders or most techinally astute, just three that for me I appreciate their skill and enjoy their music:

Mark Tremonti, mainly Alter Bridge Blackbird
Steve Howe (showing my age), but I just love listening to most of his stuff
Jimmy Page

I think what all three of these guys have in common is they can stand out with memorable playing but just as importantly, having their guitar playing fit the song, not just, 'OK, time for a blazing solo'.

So, send me a 1975 Steve Howe, a 1975 Jimmy Page, and a 2008 Mark Tremonti, and I'll sit back and enjoy the show.

ship of fools

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
Howdy Saint I see you are still in the land of living, whats new in your music, I lost the last page I had for you. And is Allan even still alive?Ship of Fools

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D78-SW
and other great sounding and playing guitars