Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn factory strings  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Humngbrd

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:48:09 PM »
Does anyone know what strings come standard on new non-US Washburns or if there even is a standard?

{Hummingbird}

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »
Yes they use vinci's on all including the us built ones. I believe they bought the company[:D]

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »
I was going to start a new thread, but I'll use this one, since you are talking about strings. Musicians Friend has a sale going on. You can get 10 sets of D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, either 12's or 13's, for $39.99. I've bought strings from them, and since D'Addario's are in sealed packages, they don't rust(the plain strings).

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »
That's a good price nogin, thanks for the heads up.

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 07:44:04 PM »
Humngbrd:I personally hate the vinci's on all my washburns both electric and accoustic and have changed them almost right away[:p]

Offline rrothjr

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Humngbrd

quote:
Originally posted by mrmudcat

I personally hate the vinci's on all my washburns both electric and accoustic and have changed them almost right away[:p]

What do you change them to?
After many years of different combinations and brands I've settled on Martin SP 92/8's for my Hummingbird, D'Addario EJ lights for my D-15, and Dean Markley Blue Steel lights for my LP electric. Long ago I was set on Black Diamond across the board but I found I went through an inordinate amount of wires due to early breakage.
I thought I might save a lot of trial & error with the D10 by asking around here.

{Hummingbird}

Hummingbird:
D'Addarios from me (EXP 16s). Last long, sound great, and no oiliness like some Elixirs I tried.

rick

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 04:46:29 AM »
I use elixers on my accoustics both poly and nano versions .and you dont have to change these as often as non-coated.On electrics ive been using ernies balls[:D]..forever[^]

Offline cllvt

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:08:18 AM »
Hummingbird,

Seems everyone eventually finds a favorite string.  I didn't mind the Vinci's initially (that came on my Washburn electric and acoustic) and I did actually buy some more Vinci's for my electric.  I had used some D'Addarios on the guitar in the meantime though, and when I put Vinci's back on after using the D'Add's I was not very happy with them.  The sounded OK, but not as good as the D'Addarios, and the went south much sooner.

I currently use D'Addario EXL115W Nickel Blues/Jazz Wound 3rd Electric Guitar Strings for my electric, and D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Lights on my acoustic.  Play, enjoy! [8D]

Chris

Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.
John Erskine
Chris

Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.
(quote by John Erskine)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Suess

Offline deltacaster

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/stacypuckett
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »
The only online dealer that I'm positive carries Vinci strings all the time is Elderly instruments
http://www.elderly.com

US Music also manufactures Mojo strings as well, that's a new line of strings that are actually really good from my experience testing them, but they're probably not available at too many places as of yet.
http://www.mojostrings.com (website still being built)

I can say, they are all wound here in the US outside Chicago.  Even the ones on the imports are made here and exported to string the guitars up with.

Stacy

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mrmudcat

Yes they use vinci's on all including the us built ones. I believe they bought the company[:D]

How interesting. I looked up the Vinci info and I believe you're right, they are owned by US Music. Does anyone buy and use these regularly instead of the better known Martin, Gibson, D'Addario, Elixir, etc., and how do you think they compare?
I personally was not impressed by the strings that came on my D10S-12 but in all fairness they were obviously not fresh.

{Hummingbird}

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:41:50 AM by deltacaster »

Offline rrothjr

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
US Music also manufactures Mojo strings as well, that's a new line of strings that are actually really good from my experience testing them, but they're probably not available at too many places as of yet.
http://www.mojostrings.com (website still being built)

I can say, they are all wound here in the US outside Chicago.  Even the ones on the imports are made here and exported to string the guitars up with.

Stacy

Stacy:
If US Music wants to get Mojo in the hands of Washburn owners, they might want to use the Mojo strings for Washburn members. Oh, and I got my materials today. Thanks!

rick

Offline 6942

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 06:05:24 AM »
Being a world-class cheapscate, I kept the stock (ugh!) Vinci's on until they wore out. Then I went with Martin SP Phos. (92/8) for medium strings, and Ernie Ball for lights. Neither brand will kill your wallet. But EVERYONE on this forum, has their favorite strings. You'll just have to experiment (i.e. spend money), until you find yours. Good luck!
Steven L. Solomon

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dirkesfamily.com
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
quote:

Oiliness? I've never tried the Elixirs. I won't spring that much more on something I change so often.
You don't need to change them that often.  I play every day, at least for 2-3 hours on Sunday, and I change the strings on the D34SCE Augusta about every 2 months.  3-4 months on the other guitars, adjusted for play time.  The coated string is worth it IMHO.

---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
2001 Washburn J28SCEDLM Cumberland
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne
2005 Washburn D34SCE Augusta
2003 Dean Tradition QS12GN 12 String
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Spectrum
---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2006 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2004 Washburn D52SWCE Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D46SCE-12 Southwestern
2004 Washburn WD18SW Solid
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N

Offline rrothjr

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 11:53:02 AM »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rrothjr
no oiliness like some Elixirs I tried.

rick

Oiliness?
I've never tried the Elixirs. I won't spring that much more on something I change so often. I do however buy the 10-packs and I keep replaced ones to use for breakages on a gig. Now that I think about it, that sounds pretty cheap.
Let's just call it thrifty.

{Hummingbird}

Just for the record. My son tried the Elixirs on his guitar and developed a residue and they rusted very quickly. (No, he kept his guitar in his case. So there was no humidity issue.) It might have been a bad batch, but that veered us away from them.

rick

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 01:57:59 PM »
His acidity level in his sweat most likely is very high and thats what the residue was .A reaction.That is strictly my opinion[:D]

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
Washburn factory strings
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »
I think he was referring to the Elixer coated strings being coated so they last longer.His reply was based on your own reply that you never tried Elixers and would not spend so much on strings ,when you change them so often.[:D] To sum it up basically one set of elixers might last you a few months and cost $12 bux a pack.A regular string might cost $4 bux but you might have to change them twice as often therefore costing you more in the long run.[;)]