Username: Password:

Author Topic: My new/old guitar.  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Washburnt

• View Profile
My new/old guitar.
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:42:45 AM »
Hello all!
I just bought a new/old Washburn electric, and was told by the salesman that it is from the 1970's. The guitar was on consignment so he didn't have too many details. I would like some info on it if anyone can help me (no pics yet, but soon). The body is made of a dark wood, but in the center, running from the bottom of the body, up to the headstock (neck through body), are three strips of a much lighter wood, seperated by the dark wood (kind of like a 3 lane highway). The body shape is similar to a Gibson SG, with the two small pointy horns, except the bottom is much wider than an SG, and has a carved top. The only markings are the name Washburn done in simple goldleaf font on the headstock, and a printed serial number 811756 on the back of the headstock. I know its not much to go by, but its all I've got. LOL, if I could post a pic at this time, i'm sure all you experts would know right off the bat. It's a rather unique look git. Oh, one more thing that may help, the fret inlays are small brass rings, and the nut is brass aswell.

Thanx in advance!!

Colin Harris.

Offline deltacaster

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/stacypuckett
My new/old guitar.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
It's one of the Washburn Wing Series guitars, from 1981.  There were several made, the falcon, eagle, raven, etc..  It's hard to determine which one without comparing photos.  But you might try a search for the Wing Series and spot the model.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:44:03 PM by deltacaster »

Offline Rhythm_guy

• View Profile
My new/old guitar.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »
You can see all the specs on the old Wing series at www.matsumoku.org.  One easy way to distinguish them is the neck - Eagle and Falcon have 5-piece neck thru, Hawk is 3-piece neck thru, and lower-end models (Raven, T-bird, Condor) have bolt-on neck.  If I understand your description yours is a Falcon - 3 strips of maple, 2 strips of mahagony.  Brass rings and nut were pretty standard, but some did have pearl dots.  If you narrow it down to Falcon & Eagle, Eagle has pearl binding, where the Falcon has plastic binding.

Enjoy - the old wings are super guitars.

Offline Washburnt

• View Profile
My new/old guitar.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 10:41:12 AM »
Thanks both of you. It turns out that it is a Falcon. It's good to know what year it is aswell. I shall treat her with the dignity she deserves.[;)]

Offline Washburnt

• View Profile
My new/old guitar.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
Thanks both of you. It turns out that it is a Falcon. It's good to know what year it is aswell. I shall treat her with the dignity she deserves.[;)]