Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pickup problems w/ Washburn Acoustic Electric  (Read 2353 times)

Offline quadz400

• View Profile
Pickup problems w/ Washburn Acoustic Electric
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:12:18 AM »
I've had this Washburn Millenium DM2000 guitar for a few years now.  It plays and sounds great acoustically, but when I plug it into my PA system, there is an issue with what the pickup is picking up (I bought it used off of eBay, so this was not brought to my attention before hand).  For some reason, the 1st E string and the 2nd B string aren't picked up like the remaining strings.  My question is, is there some adjustment inside to slide the pickup (or move it if taped) in order to correct this problem, or does this mean the pickup or electronics are flaking?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Offline areyto_pr02

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »
It seems to be an easy problem to solve but I rather give a technician the chance to fix it first. Sometimes this kind of problems are more than what you can expect.

Offline quadz400

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »
Agreed.  I was planning on taking it in for repair, but I just wanted to ask the question before they tell me the pickup system needs to be replaced.  It is working otherwise, just seems like it needs to be adjust around inside to pickup all 6 strings more evenly.  Thanks

Offline cappy61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
Just a thought you might try it with a acoustic Amp. You might get a better sound than out of a PA system

WD48S
D10S
DK20CET

Glenn
My love told me to either get rid of the Guitars or Her. I looked at her then at my Washburn. I picked up the Washburn and started to Write a new song.

Offline quadz400

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:36:17 AM »
Yeah, either way with an guitar amp or PA, those strings aren't getting picked up.  I was guessing that where the actual pickup was mounted inside, that it could either be adjusted or flat out moved around a little.  You can hear those strings just a little, but it's way out of balance compared to when the remaining strings are played.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »
I'm curious about this too. I bought a guitar on ebay (P-Hill) with the same problem (un-disclosed) except only the low E gives full output. The other 5 are very, very quiet in comparison. Is anyone here familiar with the ins and outs of these things? For reference this guitar has the B-Band A3.
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline drake

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/shemiyaza
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
I had a Gibson do this to me and I got so frustrated.

I took the guitfiddle in to get repaired and still the high e would not produce ANY sound. They replaced the saddle pick up and still nothing.

I don't know how exactly they work. I took it apart myself and said to heck with it and just ended up with a Dean Markley pick up that fits in the soundhole. Needless to say... I was a bit jerked around by Gibson AND I WAS PARTIALLY SPONSORED! Rediculous.

I hope your story ends up much better! [:)] Mine did. I ended up with Washburn and have had no complaints about any of the guitfiddles. It's unfortunate you are having these problems.www.dfrequency.com
www.myspace.com/d_frequency
www.dream-logic.com
~drake~

Offline quadz400

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:18:12 AM »
Well, you have me worried now... that maybe this isn't something that can be fixed?!?!?

Offline drake

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/shemiyaza
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:01:52 AM »
I think everything can be fixed. You just have to find someone willing to tackle whatever problem you are having.

I know that Washburn is good at getting back with people fast if you email them your problem in detail. They will get you with the right folks if it is a warranty problem.

If it isn't under warranty then my best advice would be to take it to someone who KNOWS what they are doing with that setup. There are a few on this board that are very educated. I'd ask some of the senior members or advanced members for sure. Deacon and Rick are really cool and I think there is one of the senior members that owns a dealer as well?

Deacon. Rick. Can you help?

Worse case scenerio is a soundhole pickup if only for a temporary solution.www.dfrequency.com
www.myspace.com/d_frequency
www.dream-logic.com
~drake~

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »
Dont WORRY be happy,yes it can be fixed often what is happening is that the saddle for what ever reason is not pressing down properly,(if pickups are under saddle that is)but is a very common problem for all type of guitars from bottom end to top end, a good tech will be able to fix it for a decent fee so not to worry just find yourself a shop tech and talk it over with him and if you feel comfortable with him, have him do the work.louis
Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline Dredd

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »
No worries dudes! Email http://sales@b-bandusa.com and tell him your tape mic on your A3 UST has gone squishy and you'd like to send in your unit for inspection and possible replacement. Then do what ever you and B-band decide is best for your situation, like taking it to your luthier to remove the unit, or doing it yourself. (It's very easy). The problem is probably with the tape mic losing some of its air bubbles that help transmit the sound from your saddle. This is no biggie and it's Bband you should get in touch with, not Washburn, since it's a Bband product.

They are really cool by the way and tell them you're a Coastal Cowboys fan while you're at it. [:D]

Let me know if you have any problems and let all of us know what happens.

Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
Washburn D104SCE
Washburn EA20-12 (injured)
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA (violin burst)
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'76 Electra Elvin Bishop
Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'04 Aria PE SPL SD
'05 Agile 2500-12
Fender P-bass
Martin travel guitar

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

http://www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:52:41 PM by Dredd »
Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
Washburn D104SCE
Washburn EA20-12 (Active)
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA (violin burst)
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'76 Electra Elvin Bishop
Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'04 Aria PE SPL SD
'05 Agile 2500-12
Fender P-bass
Martin Backpaddle

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

http://www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
http://www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys