Username: Password:

Author Topic: 5 string xb series bass  (Read 1444 times)

Offline greyfoxzero

• View Profile
5 string xb series bass
« on: June 01, 2006, 04:03:19 AM »
Well I recieved my XB 900 that I bought off of ebay and have mixed reactions about the bass. For one I gotta say the fret work and finish is better than anything I can find in my town. High quality wood for the neck just judging by the grain pattern and extreme stiffness of the neck. Hardware seems top notch but the bone nut seems to have been cut wrong on the G string both in height and side to side alignment with the bridge. Its hard to see but when playing its easy to pull the G off the frets. I am taking it to my local tech to see what can be done to fix it with out affecting the tone or screwing up the Buzz Feiten tuning. But overall it plays great. My biggest issue and potentially what will determine if its a keeper is the Basslines pickup and preamp. I have heard in the past that they can be sensitive but this is beyond sensitive. I use DR hi-beams and its just unbearable the amount of metallic noise that comes through this bass regardless of the preamp setting. Its like they killed the mids and over did the treble and bass. I have never had a bass where the mids where non existant. I have tried everything from drastic eq changes on my amp to even more isolation of the mids by using the isolater function on my fx processor. The mids just arent there. This bass really has a great slap sound but anything else seems to bring out an ugly quality in the sound of this bass. It also seems that the older string that were on it sounded warmer but still had that metallic sound. I am very happy with everything in terms of construction but I dont know what to do about the electronics. I dont want to spend money on a new pickup/preamp, I mean this is suppose to be cutting edge bass electronics. I cant see cutting edge as complete midrange removal. Has anyone had these problem with there xb 900? Is this an issue with musicman style pickups? Is this an issue with basslines pickups?

Offline greyfoxzero

• View Profile
5 string xb series bass
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:33:50 AM »
Wow, what a difference a week makes! I am in shock and awe as to the fact that the bass has completely come alive with great sound. The midrange tone not only woke up but man this has got some great growl. I talked to a bass player friend of mine and he told me its the DR Hi-beams that were doing all the talking for the first week. After they mellowed out I guess this bass could finally sing. I keep thinking how killer the tone is and how its starting to become one with me. I also realized that there really isnt any of these xb900 5 strings around and WASHBURN customer service seems to think this was a completely custom order since they never came out with an xb 905. Its crazy to think I was gonna sell this thing or change the pickup over to a bart. This thing has the best single pickup sound I have ever heard and I get alot more clarity out of it compared to my active jazz. And another thing I gotta say is the B is killer for a 34 inch scale bass. I have played some a little better but not on a 34 inch scale and definately not one that has no string thru body.  This bass should have made it to production because it smokes the stingray 5 and I would bet money on it. Well done WASHBURN!