Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fingers or Pick  (Read 8956 times)

Offline wingsdad

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by muse_679

Someone invent a rubber coated bass pick and you would be a genius. Get it sounding like fingers would make you a millionare. Active pickups don't seem all that good for using picks, too much of a sharp sound, needs way more of the fat  stuff. But for guitarists who sometimes play bass it is tricky to get it right. A special pick would fix that.

Try a ukulele pick. They're made of felt, and the more you use 'em, the softer and more floppy they get. But you tuck em away and use the tip, they're fine. Downside is they shed felt dust...

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 03:45:10 PM »
I've played for 35 years and never used a pick. Flatwounds and finger style for me.
no frets?

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
I vote for both, although I find on my bass with piezos, fingers do sound better................

Offline harrylado

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 05:23:09 AM »
I start using a pick when my hand hurts! I'm not a professional so therefore my fitness level is way low. When the music gets a bit quick I resort to the pick! You have to think of the audience.

Offline copperheadedjeb

• View Profile
    • http://www.copperheadsigns.com
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 11:07:01 AM »
Fingers...

Don't really care for the picked bass sound...at least when I play.

-------------------------------
Washburn MB2, Pacific Blue Rain
Washburn XB900, NM with Basslines MM
Washburn Force 2 Electric
Looking to purchase a RB2502 with that transparent green finish
Washburn MB2, Pacific Blue Rain
Washburn XB900, NM with Basslines MM
Washburn XB600, transparent red
Washburn Force 2 Electric
Would love an RB2502 with  Carribean Blue finish

Offline Singingelk

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
Hey John this is a good question. I have always played with my fingers; (like someone else said earlier) I started playing fingerstyle guitar and switched to Bass. So I play bass with my fingers most of the time. I don't play like a regular bass player plays, I tend to hold my hand much the same way I would if I were playing acoustic. I can get some really cool sounds out of my bass that way, and it gives me more control over some of the sonic possibilities.

That is also exactly why I started using a pick. One of my bluegrass friends plays bass with a pick, and he was getting some nice sounds out of his bass, so I started watching him. I have a little but longer fingernails then most guys since I play fingerstyle acoustic, so I can get a lot of the same sound he does, but it is hard on my nails. Mostly I just want to have a lot of tools to draw from if I need them.

Monty
=========================
Outside of a dog, a guitar is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to play!

Mac.
Washburn J28CEDL (Ambrose)
Kramer Focus (Strat copy)

Found out I love the blues!

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE and BIFOCAL BRIGADE

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 01:00:03 PM »
for me it depends what kind of music. what i noticed is with a pick its louder but it has a ring to it if you use a pick. with your fingers its not as loud but the sound is smoother. but it all depends on what kind of music your playing. to me its all in the sound not preference. i play both

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
strat knock off

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline KrisH

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
I swing both ways, depending on whether I want a bright attack or -- the finger sound.  When I played professionally, I usually used fingers, with pick being maybe 10% -- 20%.  Now that I've been learning to flat-pick guitar, I'm using a pick on the bass more often.

-- Kris

2004 Taylor 214
2004 Washburn F52SW
2003 Washburn WD-46S (the Tank)
2002 Hohner HF-75
2000 Epiphone Dot Deluxe LE
1995 Fender Stratocaster
1967 Gibson EB-3 (My Precious)

Offline marc_zande

• View Profile
    • Shadowplay Photography
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 06:51:36 AM »
Both!

Different feel, different sound... I do both and can still pop while picking to add colour. I learned jazz bass as a kid and it was 100% fingers but I feel comfortable either way... it just depends what music I'm playing.

It's a bit like arguing that a bass should have four strings (which I believe), not five or six.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:55:27 AM by marc_zande »
After thirty years, I wish I could say I have fared as well as my Washburn!

https://www.facebook.com/marcaustinzande
http://shadowplayphotography.com.au

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
i have a 5 string marc and i love the range that i have but 6 is getting too much but its all opinion. whats your opinion on an 8-string? because my uncle has a 12 acoustic and i played a 8 string bass and i love the rich full sound they have. any one else feel the same way?

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
strat knock off

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »
Pickin' for 36 years.
no frets?

Offline n/a

• deleted
    • View Profile
Fingers or Pick
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »
Check the most recorded bassist of all time, and one ALL the greats, finger-style or otherwise, have recognized as something special. 10,000+  recording sessions for other greats.  A gal, uses a pick 100%.  Interesting person and bassist for sure.  http://www.carolkaye.com/ and she plays every style of music and gets the perfect tone every time.
 I play both styles, since 1972, and have ended 90% on pick for a bunch of reasons which matter to nobody but me.    
  One tip to the younger players among us---it just does not matter. You are either a good bassist or not, regardless of how you handle the instrument.  
  Musical maturity opens up some doors that being stuck in a paradigm (ego-driven or not)will keep closed to you. Respect all skill you come across.
  There are pickers that can blow you away and finger guys that can blow you away and slappists that can blow you away, etc etc. Be happy, play and grow. Just my 2cents.