Username: Password:

Author Topic: Suggestion for rock bassist  (Read 1414 times)

Offline voiceburg

• View Profile
Suggestion for rock bassist
« on: January 27, 2004, 11:23:23 AM »
I'm new back to playing bass. I bought a Taurus a year ago but am finding it may not be the best for my style. Heavy alternative rock. Does anyone have a suggestion of Washburn or any other type bass?

Offline jBiRob

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »
heres some advice if you have the $$ cheeck out a warwick rockbass a little on the $$ side but really good rock tone u could always get ur self some effect pedals i have a digitech bp50 wworks great

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »
I'm going to buy a Taurus in about a month. What do you think of the sound for jazz, what kind of tone DOES it have?
no frets?

Offline voiceburg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:04:10 PM »
The Taurus is quite. It's smooth and easy to play. I think I'm looking for something with more rasp and deep tones. It sort of reminds me of my old Fender Jazz so yes I'd say it is a good Jazz bass.

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 09:21:26 AM »
Try the 920 XB series. They are great.  Lighter than a Fender Jazz and has more expression.  I've played it on a gig with a player with a warwick and even he stopped to check out my bass during our set.  
   The Jazz is what it is, and it's a timeless instrument, don't get me wrong, but when you want to maybe use another voice and not just sound like a jazz, the washburn will allow you to do that.  Try one and I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised, plus you can get it fretless too!  Fenders are great till you get to the hardware.  Washburn has Bartolini pick ups plus a faster neck.  The only issue is that they don't make a Maple fretboard, but if you don't care about that, then go express yourself.  You also get more frets on a washburn than with the 20 or 21 fret jazz.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!