Username: Password:

Author Topic: woodstock age  (Read 31003 times)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 06:08:33 AM »
If that's the case why is my ea40 stamped with woodstock at least 7 years before it was made. (I have a photograph that shows myself, and my eldest daughter with it in 1981).Mainly because from what I've seen of Washburns records, they can't be sure of what was made when. They have so many models with the same model number, it's perplexing. They could have used different numbers, instead of repeating the same ones.  But, I'm pretty sure you have an EA-40, Woodstock, made in Japan. A Woodstock was the first Washburn I owned. It was a great guitar.

Offline bumble

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 11:33:16 AM »

I had another Email from customer services, which just confirms what a lot of you had said,it reads as follows,
The EA40 is the Woodstock guitar, they are one in the same.  Typically
the serial number starts with the year of manufacture, if it's a 5,then it's typically 1985 on 80's guitars.  
It is very, very possible it was a prototype for a later guitar, or it was a model that didn't make the catalog that particular year.  It's very hard for me to determine specifics on guitars that are over 20 years old as we have very little info on our computer system going back that far.
To follow on from this, I know my brother had it at least 2 years before me. That would take it into the 70's. So I'm thinking that this is a 1975ish model. Possibley a prototype, but that doesn't matter. It is as has been pointed out a beautiful guitar. I think I've found out what I wanted to know.
But if anyone has any other ideas feel free to add them.
Thank you all for your input and advice. Cheers, bumble  

[:D][8D][^]

Offline myrrhjohn

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Hi everyone, I just discovered this forum,and was intrigued by the discussion.
I am the happy ownwer of a Woodstock which I bought in 1984. It is a beautiful instrument, finished in cream with green Abelene inlay and piping. I believe that the actual model is the Woodstock Artist and learned later it is the same as the EA45. I have a picture of George Harrison playing the same model. Also, John Lodge of the Moody Blues seemed to be using a deep body 12 string version of it some years ago.
So, as far as the Woodstock not being made till '87 is concerned, looks like here's another one that slipped through the net. I'm with bumble on this one. God bless you all, myrrhjohn

Offline Pike

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:26 AM »
Hi myrrhjohn, welcome to the forum. There is a fair ampount of confusion concerning the serial numbers, not just on the Festivals either. Some of us own some of the late 70's , early 80's Japanese built dreadnaughts. We're still scratching our heads over the serials on some of those.

Offline zoso

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bumble

Hello,
 Can anyone give me any idea to when this guitar was built, the SN 704001
Any help much appreciated

This guitar was HANDMADE in the 70's before washburn died. There should be a burn mark on the back top of the neck. This guitar is worth a ridiculous amount of money. Have you noticed how nice it playes. Its funny you don't even know what you have. The reason you can't figure out when it was made is because it is a custom guitar made for someone, I think the going rate by Mr. Washburn for these guitars was around 2,000 dollars in the 70's. Also I believe there is only about 10 of them made. Peter Pall and Marry own one (rock bank) along with Crosby Stills and nash. If you want to sell it e mail me i will gladly give you 5,000 dollars for it. My e-mail is millfordlane@yahoo.com

Offline m8s4fun

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »
I also have one of these exact same guitars, same color, in almost perfect condition since it lives mostly in its original hardshell case since I've owned it. I bought it in 1984......Serial number on mine is 82883 and looks kinda like either an E or an F in front of the Serial number. Has the George Washburn stamp on the in side of the soundhole and the word Woodstock. It also has the George Washburn stamp logo on the back of the headstock...I assume this is what You are refering to as the burn mark. I was wondering why in all the years I have owned it I have never seen another one like it, never even a pic of it. I guess it being a custom built guitar and one of only 10 built would explain that.

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 08:22:10 PM »
I'm not sure your's was custom built, and I've seen more than only 10.  Pretty sure it was built in Japan.  Regardless, they still are wonderful guitars to play.
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline m8s4fun

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »
Ohh well, I was just going by the post right above mine.....I've had the guitar for 23 years and probably will never part with it so its value is really moot. I just found it interesting, I did send an email to the guy stating it was custom built but never got a response....I was just wondering how he knew so much about the guitar. It is a great guitar, and I'm still really glad I found and bought it 23 years ago!

Offline DLAWS

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »
I also own a Woodstock.  I bought it on Ebay and it quickly became my favorite.  If I remember correctly the seller said it was manufactured in the 70's.  I have the original Washburn hardshell case contoured to fit the arched back of the guitar.  It looks like something from the 70's.  The serial is 83137, there is a hard to decipher character leading the serial number which I believe to be a number symbol ie.  NO:  Check out the pictures.

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
Welcome DLAWS!  You also have a nice Woodstock.  The character before the 8 is like that on most of them.  Not sure what it is supposed to be, but often looks like an E, F or P.

Offline DLAWS

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I took the photo of the serial at 5meg so it allows for some zoom.  That character looks like an uppercase N followed with a superscript o with an = under the o, not that it matters all that much but it is intriguing to discover what it is.

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:06 PM »
Thanks for the detailed photo!  Actually, I have seen some that match that also (No).  Makes sense.  Could be that since the letters are so small, and the ink can bleed, that some end up looking like an E, F or P, instead of No=.

Offline Muehlenbauer

• View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3397
woodstock age
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 10:16:45 PM »
Hallo Friends,
my old Collection of Twins

Serial of the 6 string Woodstock N° 612019
Serial of the 12 string Woodstock N° 88594

See you [:)]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:18:08 PM by Muehlenbauer »
Washburn Sundance 6-string(1983)
Washburn Sundance 12-string(1983)
Ibanez V300 6-string( 1985)
Ibanez V302 12-string (1979 )
Gibson LP Custom 1963 Black Beauty
Marshall MG50 DFX
Coxx MA 100/3
No Woman
No Cat
No Dog
but a bunch of new and used strings
http://www.wetcatblues.de

Offline buncha

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 12:46:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

I'm thinking, since the Festivals rolled out in '79-'80, it's probably an '87.

hi i bought mine in  1982 still playing it i love it. its 25yrs old now.same colour as yours.

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
woodstock age
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »
Nice collection Thomas!