Username: Password:

Author Topic: What makes you tick?  (Read 97035 times)

Offline Alpha Male

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
Hey everyone.  There may be a similar thread to this out there, but I couldn't find one.

While reading this forum everyday, it has made me realize that there is such a wide variety of Washburn lovers on here.  We all have our own unique ways of doing things and expressing ourselves (some more unique than others).  Anyway, in my line of work, part of my job is to try and figure people out and determine what makes them tick.

Well, I got to thinking (again).  It might be interesting to start a thread where we can tell a little something about ourselves.  You can give as much or as little detail as you are comfortable with.  I realize some of this info is found in our profiles, but it is a little time-consuming going through all the profiles - and even then, the info is pretty vague.  If you think this is getting too personal, don't post anything.

I'll start.

First Name:  Brent
User Name:  Alpha Male

Story Behind Your User Name:
In Miramichi we have a Junior A hockey team called the Timberwolves.  I used to be on the team's executive board for a few years.  My wife and I are involved in the billet program and we have a player or two that lives with us every year for the entire length of the season.  Anyway, on the Timberwolves forum, I use Alpha Male as my name.  I liked it so much that I started using it elsewhere.

Reside:  Miramichi, NB, Canada

Family:  Married for 8 years, 2 children (Andrew 7 and Sarah 3)

Wife's Occupation:  Medical Secretary

Hobbies:  My kids, deer hunting, baseball, darts, hockey, golf, playing guitar

Why do you like this forum?:
1) the people
2) there is a lot to learn
3) sometimes it is funny as hell

When did you buy your 1st Washburn?:  Christmas 2005

Why did you buy your 1st Washburn?:
1) Got a great deal
2) Liked the sound and the look

Future Plans:
1) To take guitar lessons
2) To get my motorcycle license and tour all of North America after I retire (the wife and kids can follow in the RV)
2) I'd like to start a Corvette collection - I love Corvettes (any year, any style)

Something Most People Don't Know About Me:
I used to be a nationally ranked dart player.  I got to travel and play in tournaments all over Canada and some of the US.  I once had a chance to make the Canadian team to travel to the World Championships in England, but got nervous and screwed it up royally.  Went to England anyway to watch the world championship and had an opportunity to play against some of the top pro's in the world - I won some, and lost some too.  Chicks dig dart players. [8D]

Brent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2005 D34SCETS Augusta
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 03:27:50 PM by Alpha Male »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alpha Male
Miramichi, NB, Canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2005 D34SCETS Augusta

Offline Pike

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:06:22 PM »
Well, as for me, I'm a sign maker of 35 years curently living in Oregon who loves playing Washburn guitars. My handle Pike comes from a fellow named Zebulon Pike, who my home town county in Pennsylvania was named after. Pike's Peak was also named after him, as well as my business, Pike Sign & Graphic. I have been with my second wife Susie for 18 years. Couple of grown kids, couple of rotties, whole bunch of guitars.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:11:42 PM by Pike »

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
My wife says I shouldnt but what the hey.
Louis
Ship of Fools
Robert Plant song listen to it
Richmond BC
53 on Sept.21
Married,3 kids(1 son 2 daughters) 2 grandsonsAnniversary tomorrow
Retired
Yep she works(darn hard too if I might add)
Karate,weapons(Martial art type)nunchuks,bo,sie's,tonfa,tecko's(iron fists)Music,woods,and of course working out in gym,did I mention I love to play with Guitars and record music.
all three,great people,learn stuff all the time,and will often have to change my depends for fresh ones thanks to a select few( they do it deliberatly,they own stocks in Depends).
Mid seventies,electric I think(mind damaged from 60's)
got it for free
I didnt play it that much,I was required to play a Gibson,then we switched to Stratocaster.
Future plans,well thats real easy to be here next year,and travel more now that little one is not so little.
You guys know everything about me just read Toaster Louis R rated thread,apperently I'm an open book.<but I am suffering from an accute case of GAS,but dont worry I am still waiting for the flash backs I'm suppose to have from the 60's I just wish they would get here sooner than later.thats my story and I'm sticking to it with outadding more,well maybe here and there

PS pike that is a very fine looking wife,but I really love your other girl,she is a fine looking Rotty,they are above all other dogs I would almost get rid of my cats for a Rotty but our place is just to small for a dog like her.[;)]

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:16:02 PM by ship of fools »
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline Pike

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »
Wow Louis, that was quick, I decided to not put the photo up and took it down. Susie says to tell you thanks for the compliment though! Abby is a little sweatheart. Here's our other pup, Marco. He's 20 months old, and still a gangly teen.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:45:05 PM by Pike »

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dirkesfamily.com
What makes you tick?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:47:03 PM »
Name:  Jim Dirkes
User Name:  Deacon

I am one, and my dad calls me Deacon Jim like the football player.  Of course, the fact that I'm 6'6 and 325 completes the image.  Deacon comes from the greek deaconos which means servant.  Today, I serve others to the best of my ability.

Reside:  Charleston, SC

Family:  Married for 7 years (8 on Nov 21), 2 children (Ellisa 23 and Ian 6)

Occupation:  Clinical Netwsork Systems Engineer at the Medical University of SC; Director of Young Adult Ministries at my local church.

Wife's Occupation:  Paralegal at Motley-Rice.

Hobbies:  Teaching, motorcycles, collecting guitars, computers, playing guitar

1) the people
2) the guitars
3) there's an opportunity to help other people.
4) did I mention the people?

When did you buy your 1st Washburn?:  Feb 1999

Why did you buy your 1st Washburn?: Liked the sound and the look

Future Plans:
1) Quit my job and go into fulltime Christian ministry.
2) Start a restaurant

Something Most People Don't Know About Me: I was stabbed to death in 1985 when I stopped a lowlife loser from raping my girlfriend.  Once in the heart, again in the left lung, and a 14 slice on the left arm, cutting the radial artery.  God had a plan for my life, even back then.  I quit drinking on August 10, 1985 as a result... life is good.

---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2005 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D34SCE Augusta
2004 Washburn WD18SW
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne
1998 Washburn XB925 Zebra wood

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:03:36 PM by Deacon »
---
Jim Dirkes - aka Deacon
Charleston, SC
The Pack:
2006 Washburn J56SW Timbercraft
2004 Washburn D52SWCE Timbercraft
2005 Washburn D46SCE-12 Southwestern
2004 Washburn WD18SW Solid
2004 Washburn NV100C Classical
1996 Washburn D46S Cheyenne

The Rest:
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Classic
1981 Electra Phoenix X140N

Offline Alpha Male

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:29:14 PM »
Interesting stuff.  We have some amazing people with amazing life stories associated with this site.  Aside from the guitars being very well crafted and incredible value, I can't imagine any other guitar site being this informative and this much fun.

Louis, your Rated R thread is one of the best laughs I've ever had on any forum.  I hope you're not offended by any of it.  But then again, if you are, you can just use your karate to kick the living sh!t out of most of us anyways.  [:D]

Brent
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alpha Male
Miramichi, NB, Canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2005 D34SCETS Augusta

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:16:18 PM »
Alpha its the VERY BEST MEDICINE I COULD HAVE,even I didnt know I did so much in my life I should save it all and write a book,what do you think,will I make a million,if so I am so on it,but I will have to donate almost all of the profits,how much do I need to live,just enogh for a roof over my head cloths on my back,(only because its illegal to run around naked and I dont want to frighten the world)and enough food to sustain me,everything else would be a waste that I would need to share.louis..PS Pike hes a handsome looking fellow,and yes you guys who missed it Pikes wife is a I cant say it,it wouldnt be polite oh,what the hey,she is a hottie.[}:)]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 02:18:05 PM by ship of fools »

Offline kewltunes

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:30:21 PM »
First Name: Kristin (male)
User Name: Kewltunes

No real story, it just sort of felt right.

Reside: Central Coast of California

Family: Married for 29 years, 4 children 2 grandchildren

Wife's Occupation: High School Teacher (just starting)
Hobbies: Guitar (doh), fps video games, martial arts, medieval weapons collecting

1) the people
2) there is a lot to learn
3) sometimes it is funny as hell

When did you buy your 1st Washburn?: I didn't, my (at that time) future wife did, 1972

1) I loved the sound and playability

Future Plans:
1) Actually learn to play someday

Something Most People Don't Know About Me:
I lived in Iceland for 2 years.

Kewltunes & My Close Personal Friends,
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn W200
Washburn X10
Ovation CSD225 {double neck 6+12 a/e}
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD
Kewltunes & My Close Personal Friends,
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn EA18
Washburn W200
Washburn X10
Ovation CSD225 {double neck 6+12 a/e}

Offline millenium

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:20:48 PM »
hi guys....

hi alpha mate
hi louis[8D]
hi deacon
hi kewltune
hi pike

I've been pretty please to read a little bit more about you guys tonight,,,, I'll promised you that I'll wrote a full topics like yours tomorow..

I'm not that good in english but i'll try my best to make myself understand... but i understand almost yours...

Le gars franco-Québecois...[B)]

ykhike76@hotmail.com
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline just strum

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 08:11:24 PM »
The fact that I am still ticking is a great feeling.  As some of you know, I had a heart attack three weeks ago.  It is an event that makes you reevaluate your priorities (before the heart attack I was very work focused in a very high stress envirornment)

First Name: Mark

User Name: just strum

I initially went by a variation of my first and last name but I decided to conceal my identity.  I wanted something that was guitar related so as a beginner guitar player I “just strum”.  I thought about something cool and scary, but Lord Luci was taken[;)][}:)][;)].

Reside: Northeastern Ohio

Family: Married for 19 years, 2 children – Son is 17, daughter will be 15 in October although I’m certain she’s 25 or 26)

Occupation: At the moment, purchasing for an aerospace company.  I also worked in marketing as a proposal manager for a different aerospace company.

Wife's Occupation: Office Mgr and retail (two different jobs)

Hobbies: Family, golf, playing guitar and I use to have a few Mercedes, but that is on hold for now.

1) I found a lot of people here that I can communicate with as if they were coworkers or good neighbors
2) I’ve continue to learn a lot and slowly I am able to help contribute.
3) These people are some real B busters.

When did you buy your 1st Washburn?: May 2006 from Dave (toaster20)

1) Got a good deal and was sold on the brand after posting on this forum.
2) Own two electrics and wanted a different sound.  I actually wanted to buy an acoustic for my first guitar (Feb 2006), but was talked out of it by a friend.

Future Plans:
1) To continue to learn more about music and the guitar
2) To be able to have conversation on the same level as many of the other members of the forum.
3) I would like to open up a business that is music related.  It would be nice to set up something where young and old could get together and play music and set up small stage shows.

Strum

Washburn - WD32SW
Washburn - EA20SDL
Washburn - Cumberland J28SDL (enroute)
Epiphone - G400
Fender Squier Stratocaster - this inexpensive guitar started the madness
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE BIFOCAL BRIGADE

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 09:47:52 PM »
Just strum,one thing my Cardioligist recommended lots of you know what,he said it would be great for the heart.And I would gladly come and play in your venue,sorry no-headlining,and only if I can have glacier water from Canada.But  would like to save I'm so glad you're still with us slow down and remember that no amount of money is worth that thin life line that we all have.louis

Offline millenium

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »
Hi every one... HERE I AM[}:)]

FIRST NAME: YAN
USER NAME: Millenium
NICK NAME: Wyatt (when I play game)

STORY BEHIND YOUR USER NAME: Millenium as been choose because of my special guitar D2003S. and about wyatt It's from the movie Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner as a cowboy

RESIDE: Rivière-du-Loup, QUÉBEC, Canada

AGE: I'm 29.... but I'm turning on 30's in october and that make me freak a little bit...[V]

FAMILY: I'm single since a year and I've no kids yet (but I surely want somme from me soon, I'm just searching for the good girl)

OCCUPATION: Parole Officer, I work for Service correctionnel du Canada (jail). I'm in charge of those parole prisoners who got out of jail to make sure that they respect there condition of liberty... SO, I decide who's gonna get out, and stay out, or get BACK inside...

HOBBIES: I like to play guitar, read books, hiking, rock climbing/ice climbing, kayak/canoe, play x-box, chess game...

WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS FORUM?
1. I've been here to have some information about my guitar
2. People are pleasant to exchange
3. Practicing my english (I speak french)

WHEN DID YOU BUY YOUR FIRST WASHBURN?
I bought my fisrt washburn in 2003. That was the D2003S. When I see this one on the wall at the guitar saler, I wanted it... It was like a crush, too pretty[8D]

WHY DID YOU BUY A WASHBURN?
1. Price was good...
2. I've seen a lot of pictures in guitar magazine, so I realize that it was a great brand.

FUTUR PLANS:
1. Make a familly
2. getting MORE guitars [:I]
3. Ruling the washburn world with the D2003S with louis lollll and revolutionize the world

SOMETHING PEOPLE DOES'NT KNOW ABOUT ME
I've study in SEXOLOGIE(ph.d). Je parle en francais. J'ai appris l'anglais a l'école et la tv m'aide beaucoup. I've been to university in Qc. I'm 6'5. I've played basket-ball in a HIGH level of game... but no more, after a brocken angle. I like hockey too.

ykhike76@hotmail.com

yan
millenium

Offline millenium

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:16:35 PM »
Hi louis..

You wrote that your nick name is from a song SHIP OF FOOLS by robert plant ??...  Wich album ?? I'll like to heard that I'm an huge fan of plant/page Led zeppelin wave !![:)]

ykhike76@hotmail.com
yan
millenium

Offline Chaos Rex

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
Howdy, seemed like a fun thread. I also like to talk about myself almost as much as I like to find out about others.

First Name: Aaron

User Name: Chaos Rex

Story Behind Your User Name: Well this stretches back to when I used to play AD&D. Chaotic Neutral was my favorite Alignment and I became enamored with the whole Chaos thing. When I first started to chat I wanted a cool name so I combined Chaos with Tyrannousaurus Rex and got Chaos Rex. It fits in so many ways.

Reside: San Francisco Bay Area

Family: Technically Single but I do have a girlfriend. Someday I might update this to reflect a change.

Hobbies: Playing guitar though I really hate to call it a hobby cause that means I'm not a pro. Reading, Hiking, Photography, Writing, Drawing, Painting, tacticle shooting (IDPA) Role Playing and Computer games and finally, tinkering with guitars.

Why do you like this forum?: Great source of information. Their are some sages on here. Great people (of course we all love Washburns). And great topics.

When did you buy your 1st Washburn?: Shortly after I graduated high school so maybe the Summer of 1993. It was a used Chicago Series KC-LTD, white. I got it for $250 @ Guitar Center in SF. That was my main guitar for years until I bought my second guitar on ebay, a ...Chicago Series KC-LTD, white. Yeah I know, when you love something you can't get enough. Funny enough both guitars had a chip in the same place(close to the jack) and stress cracks in the body finish at the neck.  

Why did you buy your 1st Washburn?: When I was first getting into playing, late 80's I saw a commercial for Washburn on MTV. I remember the commercial saying it was the lead guitarist for the band Nitro (who I later learned was Michael Angelo (Batio). The guy was phenominal on his washburn playing these amazing runs and using his right hand over the neck rather than under. I had to get one at that point. I was 12 or so.  

Future Plans:
1) Stop saying guitar playing as a hobby and start saying it's a profession (without lying)
2) Get Published
2) Get my degree

Something Most People Don't Know About Me: I'm an open book and don't have anything exciting I can put here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:38:45 PM by Chaos Rex »
Founding Member of the Nuno Brigade
Davies Division
Maple on Mahogany Militia

My Guitars

Offline The Ringer

• View Profile
What makes you tick?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 12:42:31 PM »
The forum never ceases to amaze me.