Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Lyon by Washburn Electric Guitar LXT3PAK"  (Read 4359 times)

Offline guitargamer89

• View Profile
"Lyon by Washburn Electric Guitar LXT3PAK"
« on: September 12, 2006, 08:27:27 PM »
Does anyone know if this would be a decent guitar to learn on.

Also, a friend of mine said that it was easier to learn Bass then Electric instead of Just Electric...Is this true?

Offline RW James

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:00:01 AM »
I don't know too much about Lyon - probably hit and miss with regard to quality - but for the price, you probably can't go too far wrong.

Bass or Guitar?  Depends on what you want.  The bottom line is, you are going to practice more on something that you want to learn.

I have a theory that all musical instruments are equally difficult to achieve the same level of profficiency.  It's just that some instruments have a steeper learning curve than others.  For instance, any idiot can hit a drum with a stick but I doubt many of you could even make a note sound on a bagpipe.  But drums are extremely hard to be really good at.

So what do you want to play?  Guitar or Bass?  Go with your heart.

My nephew is an excellant bass player - but he later taught himself to play guitar, and he's pretty good.  My son plays drums as his primary instrument - but also taught himself guitar and bass.  I play primarily guitar but double on bass.  

So start with one, and pick up the other later would be my advice.

Offline dex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »
I just picked up one of those packages at a flea market. It was probably auctioned off in a odd lot of damaged/returned goods from Target or some place. I couldn't lose with the price because the gig bag, practice amp and tuner would cost more than what I paid for the whole package. I paid $45 and it was only missing the instructional DVD and the 3 picks. Everything else was there including a big nasty gouge out of bottom of the body's finish which I repaired with black nail polish.

The guitar itself has a nice neck and smooth frets but the action might be a little out of whack because the bridge needs adjusting. Do not expect this instrument to stay in tune for very long while playing. You will find with any cheap guitar staying in tune is always the drawback. Other than that they are not bad for beginner guitars but a beginner might need a more experienced player to help them make the bridge adjustments to minimize buzz, especially in the 6th string low E.

All in all the package you find at Target or where ever with the amp and everything included is not a bad deal at all considering just the gig bag would cost $25+, the 5 watt practice amp would cost at least $25 and the tuner would be $15. The DVD and cable and picks would also cost a few dollars separately. I would say that after all said and done you are really getting the guitar for about $50-60 and not a bad one considering it was contracted out to China under Washburn specs which HAS to be better than Walmarts First Act guitars which would be the competitor for that level of guitar.

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »
Most that know nothing about guitars think the bass is easier to learn,or assume this .It is at best a wrong assumption.Yea anyone can finger a one note bass line but to learn the bass like some of the best it is harder or atleast just as hard in my opinion!![:D]

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »
Also poster if you want to learn bass ive got a new washy 120 black with active pups used(maybe once twice) with a case id let it go cheap as it is taking up space[:D]It was one of my boys first but he soon upgraded to fenders[:D]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 02:37:47 PM by mrmudcat »

Offline dex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:24:57 PM »
One more thing. I looked at Walmarts First Act electric and it's really a peice of crap and cost the same amount as the Washburn and does not include all of the accessories. You might find a cheaper used guitar but it would be hard to find the whole package for that price unless you find a used package deal which won't be very common for all of that equipment.