Username: Password:

Author Topic: Electronic Drum Machines for Bassist?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline wW

• View Profile
Electronic Drum Machines for Bassist?
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »
I'm looking to get an electronic drum machine soon. So many models & it's difficult to tell which one to get & why?

I tried to find a site that compares them but I've yet to find one. Only site's with reviews of specific models. No feature comarisons between brands, make & models.

I'll probably get a used one first until I figure out exactly which model will work for my needs.

Input, experience? Anyone else have any nuggets to share on the subject?

Thanks in advance wW

Offline Fretless Johnny

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bessitis
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:19:25 PM »
I just picked one up at the local music go round for $100.  The things I love about it are that it has little kick and highhat pedals, so I can kind of play a regular beat.  It has a bunch of tunes, mostly whack, but some great funk and jazz tunes.  Unlike some machines it provides the whole band.  You can cut the horns or bass or drums and jam along with it.  I use this alot.  Pull up a funk tune, cut the bass, and just groove with it.

I also like that it's a simple 1/4 out for recording.  I have a small, no frills recording rig for laying ideas and scratch tracks.  This lets me play a beat right into my break out box, then record bass or whatever over it.

John

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DD55-Digital-Drum-Pad?sku=404135&src=3WBZ4DS

Montana Acoustic Bass
Palatino Upright
Epiphone EB0 Piccolo Bass
'71 Fretless P-Bass
'71 Fretted P-Bass
'06 Highway 1 P-Bass
Squier Bronco Piccolo
Washburn RO1 Rover
Ibanez AJ200-EVE
Ibanez AF86
Kaman Acoustic Bass
Palatino Upright Bass
'71 Fretless P-Bass
'71 Fretted P-Bass
'06 Highway 1 P-Bass

Offline Vestopal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:11:41 PM »
Dude I used to wire up an electronc metronome (still have it) into an amp or headphones or whatever and jam for days.  Anything is good for you, your chops, your timing, your creative juices!  It takes breaks when you want and doesn't drink and get sloppy.

I bought a Korg DR-20 years ago, crude little bugger but used it for rehearsal with a band, for writing and general all around good fun.

Don't stress too much over it, just get one.

On a side note I used to use a casio keyboard, one of the ones that'll vamp on whatever chord you play on it, and used that to practice modes all over the neck.  It's cool cause you're never out of key (um if you're trying to stay in one)...

Randy