Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Washburn WI62 Review (Final Post)  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
New Washburn WI62 Review (Final Post)
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
Not many people posting about WI62s ... but I've done quite a bit of research on the Washburn Idols before/after buying one. I just acquired a Trans-Red WI62 ... just got it last week. It's basically a WI64DL without the VCC-tone/Buzz-tuning systems. But has the maple fiuring on the top so it's like the WI64DL.  I didn't want either VCC or Buzz-tuning system. It's made in Indonesia. It appears it that this model may have never made it to release ... not in any catalogs. I'm a VERY PLEASED with this guitar ... it's a steal for the eBay. I was expecting some issue with the electronics ... the things that need improvement can be fixed.  

GOOD: Wood (mahogany neck/body with thin figured maple cap for looks), frets, finish, hardware, sustain are all great ... these are the things you can't change ... so this is all good. Feels like an equivalent to my son's Gibson SG Standard. I think it beats the SG Special/Classic. I own or have owned LPs, 335s, SG, Yamaha SA2000, Tele, Strat, Schecter ... so I know good guitars ... this is one.  Simply said this is an excellent guitar!

NEEDS WORK:
(1) Pickup switch doesn't look like it will last(I'm replacing with Switchcraft switch used in an SG). You need to buy the threaded nut  to attach it ... the Switchcraft thread doesn't have quite enough threads to attach it.

(2) Pots (small version - look cheap) - May replace with better pots but there is not room for the big CTS pots. The pots are all 500k so there is no need to replace them unless they fail ... however I'm suspect of the quality and have already acquired 4 high guality 500k mini-pots.  If I do any more work on the guitar, they are ready to go in.

(3) Pickups: This was really interesting. The Washburn website has nothing on the WI62 but has information on the WI64/WI64DL. Both say WB630 pickups which I think are ceramic. However, that's not what's on my WI62. Mine has two pickups labeled 57CH(G) which appear to be Epiphone 57 reissue LP(neck) or 335(neck,bridge) pickups. There were stickers that helped me track these down(see my other posts). The identifying marks have been ground off but they left R (Rear) and F (Forward). Seymour Duncan forum search got information that they are probably Alnico 5. I measured mine and they are both low 9.0k in DC resistance. These sound a bit muddy to me when they are at max volume. I replaced my pickups with Gibson 490R(8.1k)/498T(14.4k) pickups that came off my son's SG Standard (he upgraded to 57/57+) ... so these are free to me. They sound much tighter to me. The fit is tight because the legs are short on the original pickups. But the Epiphone pickups are pretty good if you want to leave them. Washburn couldn't really tell me why these were on my guitar but made some guesses. I think that's all they were so I won't quote them here.

(4) Wiring: Very interesting. The wiring is neither modern Gibson or even vintage 50s Gibson. You'll notice for example ... with the switch in center both volumes have to be turned down to cut off the volume. I did some research and found that this wiring is a combination of the two methods. I was able to make it modern Gibson by swapping the hot lead from the pickups (from middle to left lug on vol pot) and the hot leads from the switch (move from left to middle lug on volume pot) on both volume pots. It's similar to the rest of my guitars now.  The capacitors are .022 ... I may change these to .047 ... but I'll leave them for now.  

(5) Case: Did not come with a case but the Wahburn GC40 is recommended. I hear that the guitar rattles around in the case. I did some research on the better quality GC31R case (for the higher priced WI68). It's beautiful and fits perfectly ... it arrived today.

I know this is a lot of info ... but I would have killed for this information and spent hours hunting it all this down. This will keep others from having to do it in the future.  Since there is not a WI62 review on Harmony Central, I'll probably add one.

Summary: Great guitar for the money if you don't mind doing a few  electronics mods.  Glad I bought it!

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »
Update: Ended up rewiring the guitar as planned ... 500k pots, Switchcraft switch, new caps/resistors (.015uf neck, .033uf bridge, treble bleed on both (680pf/220k).  Settled on Seymour Duncan AP2 neck and Gibson 498T bridge. GC31R case.  I love it.  Look and listen.

Washburn WI62 AP2(n)/498T(b)
  lo-fi URL:   http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4472396&q=lo
  hi-fi URL:   http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4472396&q=hi

My clips @ www.soundclick.com/kendove

Offline Jibboom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »
That looks brilliant!
It's the winning that counts, not the taking part

Offline kb2nto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 06:07:50 PM »
That sounds like a great setup. I took my WI62 and had a professional setup done. Really didn't have the extra money to replace pickups and wiring at this point. A friend who is both more experienced in playing and guitars compared the WI62 to a Les Paul. He is going to get one said it feels like a much more expensive guitar. Everytime he visits he asks to play the WI62. I have some very nice Ibanez and a really nice playing Squier Stagemaster with neck through and reverse headstock. That was his favorite til the WI62 showed up. I really like the WI62 also for the price it would be very difficult to replace. Doveman love your setup perhaps someday...

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 10:59:22 PM »
Thanks ... I didn't know anything about Washburn.  It did take some work but I am very pleased and I'm a new fan of their products.

I've had many good quality quitars ... this one is a steal. [:D]

One more thing ... I found it extremely difficult to find out much about these guitars.  Not many people writing about them ... even on this site.  So if you do a search on the internet about WI62 or WI64DL you are very likely to find my tracks.  I think they are kept too secret.  Hope this helps anyone else trying to dig out info about these guitars.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:05:48 PM by Doveman »

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:25:04 AM »
Ken first of all great job on the washburn.What brand name caps/resistors did you use[?]Ive got some real spraque vitaminQ'S and Bumblebess .22uf/200v...that I want to use on my idol 65c.(one pair or the other).(ive got .22 hovland and .15 I thought about using also.....it already came with seymour pups so im keeping these             (custom-custom b/59 n)Im also upgrading switch,jack(switchcraft) and pots(cts)and wiring it straight gibson with tone pots as I got over 20 strats and dont need the vcc(also how do you like the treble bleed[?])Lastly our music tastes are very similiar as I grew up on blues/southern rock.My favorite covers you did that I thought were very good was cross to bear (allman brothers)and cant you see(marshall tucker band)the yamaha did pretty damn good and both tracks were not overly mixed/processed/polished(I like  a raw mix with all the warts as most of todays music is overly processed)Those two songs are among my favorites anyways and you did them justice brother[:D].peace mudcat .hollar back on what brand caps!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 01:33:20 AM by mrmudcat »

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 07:54:31 AM »
MRMUDCAT: Caps ... used the orange drops from www.acmeguitarworks.com - I think they sound better but that's just me. [:)] Treble bleed on both neck and bridge ... works much better for me (680pf/220k) on this particular guitar.

STUDIOGUITARIST: Age ... yep ... turned 50 years old this year ... damn how'd that happen? [V] Only figured out how to post songs on the internet about 2 weeks ago.  Have written some originals ... maybe they'll be out there soon.  How old are you? Do you have some songs out here on the internet?  With a handle like studioguitarist, I would expect you might.

STUDIOGUITARIST: I've owned 8 Les Pauls in my life ... I'd compare this guitar to an SG but the profile may be a bit more LPish.  It's a thin guitar and about 1/2 pound heavier than my son's Gibson SG Standard.  Being 50, I have learned a few things. I used to be of the opinion If it's not a Gibson or Fender, it's nothing ... then I bumped into a Yamaha SA2000 at a jam session (I had a gold top LP Standard at the time). Kicked my ass.  I borrowed it for a few songs and I played better.  I didn't have a lot of money ... so I sold the LP and bought the Yamaha ... 26 years ago.  NOW my view is ... If it plays good and sounds good ... it is good.  LPs, SGs, Strats, Teles are great too ... but it's not everything that's out there.  I still play OK and it's always cool to walk in pull out a Yamaha, Schecter or Washburn and keep up with someone who just spent their last dollar on THE only axe ... maybe it's a Gold Top Standard LP ... was for me. [;)]

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 08:19:27 AM by Doveman »

Offline mrmudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
Dove thanks for the link I use the real spraque orange drops on my strats. Ill be using the bumblebees I think.[;)]

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 10:31:40 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about the bumblebees ... I have not had experience with them.  What I do is wire up the guitar with no caps ... then using 4 wires with alligator clips on each end (radio shack). I replace the caps one at a time until I find what I want.  I usually start with the bridge ... then the neck ... then both.  When I'm happy, I solder in the winners.  I usually have a selection (.015uf, .022uf, .033uf and .047uf orange drops handy).  The result is different on every guitar ... but in this range.  

Then I check the treble bleed ... does it help?  Same deal with the alligator clips.  

The pots make a huge difference too ... 500k in everything I've got right now.  I think the pots/caps/resistors may make as much difference as the pickups do ... as long as you have a good pickup to start.  

People trash the 498T bridge pickup but with the right caps and blended with an A2P Seymour Duncan it was awesome.  Same rule gives me freedom to ignore the masses: If it plays good & sounds good ... it is good.  [8D]

Offline Doveman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »
Yeah ... I thought so.  Studioguitarist not only didn't answer, he disappeared off the face of the planet.  Mouth must've imploded. [;)]