Username: Password:

Author Topic: Something to impress..  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Sassy

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:58:20 AM »
Hey all!
I was thinking...I've been teaching myself guitar since april this year...and am doing quite well, if i may say so myself. however.
i relly want to play something to the guys at my school that think female guitarists are a joke.
if there is anything out there that anyone thinks is easy to leearn, but sounds awseome, pelase email or reply to me!
Im more of an acoustic player mind you!
but i have a proper washburn electric for those days when i feel i jsut wanna do some muse or chilis or wateva...

:)

Sass xxx
x Sassy x

Offline mikecon

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
How about a Sheryl Crow-esque Blackbird? It's ultra classic and quasi-fingerstyle yet easy, and folks seem to think you're a fancy picker when you do it well.

I like most all of Sheryl's stuff. (Can you sing? If so, that will take some of the onus off of your need for guitar virtuosity yet still wow your crowd)

I'd like to hear a female version of Tears in Heaven; also an easy fingerstyle number that people seem to be impressed by.

You would probably be best-served, though, by choosing a number that really appeals to you and you know very well as that will shorten the learning curve and keep you motivated to nail it. With certain pieces you'll have an opportunity to develop or find a 'simplified arrangement' that will help you get a version out in front of people and will rarely be noticed as simplified.

Get your fingerstyle mojo working and the strumming boys will have no recourse but to bow down to you and say, We're not worthy. [:D]

'80 Les Paul Std
'95 Ovation Celebrity
'04 Ibanez AE18ENT-12
'06 Washburn F52SWCE!
=============================
I've got blisters on me fingers!

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:48 AM »
Hi Sassy, those guys at school are jealous. Female guitar players are sexy as all get out.[:p][:p][:p] Try Lewalt Publishing http://www.lewalt.com/ for some easy tabs, and a they're a great deal also. You can have him e-mail them to you in tef format and be playing them right away. Good luck. It's great to have you here.

Offline mikecon

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »
This ought to quiet the female guitarists are a joke crowd.

Sheeeeeeesh.

Needless to say, a little Paganini is always sure to impress but doesn't necessarily fit the easy to learn requirement.
'80 Les Paul Std
'95 Ovation Celebrity
'04 Ibanez AE18ENT-12
'06 Washburn F52SWCE!
=============================
I've got blisters on me fingers!

Offline ggreen67

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
Horse with no name is really easy to play.

Linky:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=36

You'll need to know how to mute strings to get it right. Below is another link to a video that someone was kind enough to post. He demonstrates how to mute with this song. He also does some cool blues riff.

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/LittleBrotherFilesMisc/horse-noname-strum.wmv

BTW: Guitar Noise is an excellent resource for lessons.

Offline trueheart78

• View Profile
    • http://madebymills.blogspot.com
Something to impress..
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:27:44 PM »
If you are Christian, as am I, I would think a little Jennifer Knapp should go a long way.  especially if you can sing, too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPbWJ-2LU6k
The MadAboutGuitars.com Forum

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »
Hey, welcome to the forum, don't worry about the guys at your school.

I'm 15 (therefore still in school) and most of my mates would think of a female guitarist as a joke. But you don't need to impress people like that. The only people you need to care about, are you, your guitar, and the people who appreciate you for who you are and what you do.

However, something nice and simple to play, if you are willing to put in a little bit of effort, although it sounds complicated, Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold is quite simple. You can get the tabs on any good tabs site.

Ben

NO MOMMY, DON'T DO IT AGAIN,DON'T DO IT AGAIN, I'LL BE A GOOD BOY. I'LL BE A GOOD BOY. I PROMISE. NO MOMMY, DON'T HIT ME. OW. WHY D'YOU HAVE TO HIT ME LIKE THAT MOMMY. DON'T DO IT. YOUR HURTING ME. OW. WHY D'YOU HAVE TO BE SUCH A BITCH?WHY DONT YOU... WHY CAN'T YOU f**k OFF AND DIE? WHY DON'T YOU JUST f**k OFF AND DIE? WHY DONT YOU JUST LEAVE HERE AND DIE? NEVER STICK YOUR HAND IN MY FACE AGAIN BITCH. f**k YOU! -Disturbed - Down With The Sickness

THE GUITARS!!!

Stagg SW206CE-BK with EQ-7545R (called Rose)

Washburn DD10 (Dan Donegan series)(not here yet but coming soon)

THE EQUIPMENT!!!

Peavy Blazer 158 (40 watts)

Toneworks KORG Pandora PX4 handheld effects pedal

Vox DA5 (5 watts) (not here yet but coming soon)

Offline Sassy

• View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 08:45:24 AM »
wow u guys are all really helpful and friendly! cheers!

i have looked at every link people have sent me and am full of ideas!

just wait boys...
mwahhahaha

hehe

xxxx
x Sassy x

Offline Toaster20

• Eat More Toast
    • View Profile
Something to impress..
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 12:02:04 PM »
Sassy,  I think it's all about what YOU like to play.  What are you good at?  Be yourself because that's always more impressive than faking it.  

For example, I know lots of guitar players who are WAY better than me, and they play mostly rock n roll.  But sometimes I'll play a few bars of something classical and it seems to impress people a lot.  If I tried to play the Fall Out Boy I'd get laughed at.

Always be yourself.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Something to impress..
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »
Hi Sassy - Dave's got the right idea. Don't even try to impress anyone. If you spend too much time playing music to please others you'll develop a shallow sound (like top 40 music). Play what you want to play, the way you want to play it, and practice, practice, practice. In time you'll have developed a style that consists of depth and skill and no one can give you a hard time for that.

Dreadman
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 01:05:05 PM by Dreadman »
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.