Username: Password:

Author Topic: '81 EA-40 Woodstock Specs - Solid or Laminate?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Kathy Shand

• View Profile
'81 EA-40 Woodstock Specs - Solid or Laminate?
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:23:26 PM »
Does anyone here know about the Mahogany used for the 1981 EA-40 Woodstock, made probably in Japan, whether it was all solid woods - top, back & sides or whether there were laminates used.  Some of you may have one of a similar year or you may know because you're knowledgeable about Washburn history.  If it helps - the SN is 86662 with the possibility of a E preceding the SN.  

I talked to Washburn, the Archives Dept. and they weren't very sure when it was built but the owner since new, remembers clearly that he purchased the guitar in 1981 without question.  

Any info you have would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Treefrog1

• View Profile
'81 EA-40 Woodstock Specs - Solid or Laminate?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:11:24 AM »
Hi;
 In 85 I purchased an EA-40 Woodstock, birds eye maple. all the ones I had seen were completely laminate (3 veneer layers ,high quality stuff not a cheap plywood job) for amplification without feed back. Great guitar. Wish I never sold it. Slight arched top and back. very stable and very good amplified tone. There was a solid model that looked the same but had a diffrent number designation. I could be wrong.
Look at the edge of the sound hole and see if the grain of the wood shows through from outside to inside. solid wood will show its grain straight thru.laminates will cross (for stregnth) also with a laminate the body's wood grain patterns  should not match on the inside and outside
perfectly as the woods are layered and glued. Hoope this helps. Good luck.