Username: Password:

Author Topic: Size of strings  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Size of strings
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:24:16 AM »
I just purchased a T24....WOW. One thing I don't know is the string size. I read a response by Fourstring somewhere that went through this but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what the original string size is on the T24 and other Washburn bassses?
no frets?

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
Size of strings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 07:11:49 PM »
Did i hear my name?   HMmmm I don't know the specs but i would guess the gauge is a 95 steel round wound.  
   My question to you is what type of strings do you use?  If you play fretless, then maybe you want flatwounds?  Do you want steel or nickle or even cryogenic nickles?  DO you want heavy 115's or light 90's?  I would suggest that you try a few different types until you find the qualities that you like in strings.  Find the strings that bring out your best playing.   I found mine by accident(my guitarist picked them up when my regular strings were out of stock).  I cursed her out from Cleveland til Chicago, until the gig went down.  
    Let me know what your style is and I might be able to save you some time in shopping around.

Derek

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!

Offline Mahutma

• View Profile
Size of strings
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:34:56 PM »
i could use a hand with strings, i just recently bought some smaller Ernie Ball slinky strings gauge 90, 70, 60, 40. ROundwound, im playing a slightly messed up t24 taurus right now (my front pickups volume knob is stripped so i only get my bridge pickups sound) trying to fidn a way to fix that w/o sending my bass out for a few weeks. playing it through a cheesy 15 watt squire amp (upgrading soon) and my style carries a similar rock approach to that of Tools, only based more around finger picking and useing some somewhat bluesy progeressions, i follow octaves around a lot on my D and G. i do some slap and pop but my tone sucks, hoping its just my amp and that i dont suck as bad as i sound ^^. well any advice and ide be greatful. Thankee

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Size of strings
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 02:16:09 PM »
Well, I bought a set of 45 to 105 flat wounds and they are just a little larger than the originals so the originals had to be extra lights. That T24 with the screwed up pot probably does need some fixin' but I'm not sure a guitar store would keep it a couple weeks if you called and set a date to bring it in. More like a few days I would think. Does your bass have a nice feel to it? Mine sure does.
no frets?

Offline Mahutma

• View Profile
Size of strings
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 11:59:17 AM »
oh yes, i love this bass, hence why im against sending it out ^^. Around me there are onnly three strands of musical companies, Earcraft, Daddy's and Marcs, havent been to marcs yet, Neither earcraft nor daddy's had the parts on hand and said i needed to send it out. But i dont think i can handle not having my bass while its gone. So yeah. hmm, yeah i noticed with the smaller strings i put on it, its a decent tone, especially for finger picking and trying to do some chords, but with slap and pop the smaller strings suck, and tho i suck at tapping, it sounds even worse on the smaller strings, and suggestions on that? i need to clean up my pops, and work on my tapping didnt know if a size, or style of strings might make a difference there, ive always used round wound steel strings, never tried the nickel ones, or tapered, or flatwound. tried four companies i think Erni Balle slinkines, Dean Markley(i think thats the name) Blue steels, the standard fender strings on a quire pbass and the standard strings that can with the t24. Havent found anything -too- fancy yet. Well thanks. Peace

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Size of strings
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 05:58:02 AM »
Well, the ones I bought were Rotosound Jazz strings. They give the T24 a real smooth jazz sound. I don't know how they would sound for slap'but I don't do any slap bass, just jazz stuff and big band music.
no frets?

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
Size of strings
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 06:51:36 PM »
I love the rotosound Swing bass RS 66 LB's they are 35 55 70 90, but you may want the 40's in stead.  The Dean Markley Blue Steels are nice and I still love my GHS Boomers.  Trace Elliot also makes a cryogenic Nickel string that's great and not pricey at all.  D'Addario's for me just don't hang with the others.  That's just my humble opinion.  My rank is Rotosound, GHS, Trace Elliot.   Kaman used to make a series Electix 2 that was like $10 a set and they were great!  But no one bought em so they discontinued the strings.   I called up the company but the guy I talked to wasn't even about to sell me the stings they had lying around the factory or warehouse.  I tried..oh well.  Good luck with your playing.  Oh, and flatwounds don't tend to slap too well.  They are great for jazz or a classical style(upright sounding), but you'll probably want roundwounds for more contemporary styles.  The heavier the gauge the darker the sound, but you lose some articulation.  In other words you'll sound muddier trying to run with 45's or 50's than with 40's or even 30's.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!