Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn EA20  (Read 6377 times)

Offline com

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
What is the difference between the EA20S and the EA20SDL? I know the Electric/Acoustic and Solid ; Solid Deluxe, but what makes the SDL a Deluxe model?
Thanks...

Offline just strum

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:37:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by com

What is the difference between the EA20S and the EA20SDL? I know the Electric/Acoustic and Solid ; Solid Deluxe, but what makes the SDL a Deluxe model?
Thanks...

Com,

Welcome to the forum.  I see you're in Ohio - I'm up in the northeastern section (just a little south east of Cleveland.

I own a EA20SDL, but I really cannot locate anything about the EA20S.  I did a google search, but wasn't able to dig up much worthwhile information.

There are a number of people on the forum that should be able to provide you with some information.

Strum

http://www.washburn.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=6645

Offline just strum

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 06:07:22 AM »
Pike,

When I did my google search I located almost exclusively EA20 and EA20SDL, but only a couple of the EA20S.  Is the EA20 and EA20S both the same?  Was it ever sold listed as a EA20S?

Strum

Offline com

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:13:14 AM »
Thanks for the input. The one I'm looking at purchasing is a Festival Series EA20S 'BK, Black color; and has the Equis Gold electronics. I believe it is a solid spruce top, but on the back of the headstock it says 'Made In Korea' , is that normal? Not sure what year model this is, but it sounds like a great guitar for a good price of around $300. I've been a fan of Washburn acoustics since I got my first D94LTD in (obviously) 1994. The salesman told me it was a limited edition, thinking that would sell the guitar, (how could 1994 guitars made be limited?), but after I played it I fell in love with her. Great tone!

Offline com

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »
Just wondering...since it says 'Made in Korea', are all Washburn EA20s made there, or just this particular model? I thought that Washburn guitars were made in the USA.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by just strum

Pike,

When I did my google search I located almost exclusively EA20 and EA20SDL, but only a couple of the EA20S.  Is the EA20 and EA20S both the same?  Was it ever sold listed as a EA20S?

Strum

Same guitar

Offline just strum

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:48:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by com

Just wondering...since it says 'Made in Korea', are all Washburn EA20s made there, or just this particular model? I thought that Washburn guitars were made in the USA.

Washburn's have been made in Japan (I think) and I know they've been made in Korea, Indonesia and China. As the economic strength of these countries grow, so does the cost of living and then the wages must increase.  When that happens the companies move there product to a place of cheaper labor. I'm sure there may be other reasons, but the bottom line is - it's all about the bottom line.

There seems to be a trend when the guitars are first made in a new country or factory the quality is questionable. As the work force goes through a learning curve, the product improves. I cannot state that as fact, but I have read it in a number of places as it applies to guitars and other products.

Oh, they do make some models in the USA and I think you will see that listed in the product section of this website.

Strum

Offline com

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 02:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Strum. I may be sounding ignorant here, but, even though they are made in other countries, the guitars still go through Washburn inspections for quality, correct?

Offline just strum

• View Profile
Washburn EA20
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 02:37:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by com

Thanks for the info Strum. I may be sounding ignorant here, but, even though they are made in other countries, the guitars still go through Washburn inspections for quality, correct?

I agree, but I think there is a level of meeting quality and then the level of meeting quality and adding a little more quality to the product through becoming more familiar in building the product.  

Truthfully I am not sure and you make a good point. I'm passing along information that I've read and there probably is more information out there that might better answer your question. If I come across it I will be sure to share it with you.

Edit: another way to look at it is the automotive industry.  Two cars of the same model goes through the same inspection and quality standards yet one could be trouble free and the other back in the shop several times just weeks after being purchased.  So quality standards aren't necessarily the best safety net to assure bad product doesn't get to the public.  On the other hand a well trained workforce should limit bad product from getting the public.

Strum

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:41:03 PM by just strum »